New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot pattern interpretation
 Login/Join

<dr280>
posted
Testing load today for my Ruger #1 in .280.
Just a question about the individual shots and the pattern they seemed to adhere to.
2nd shot would be just under 1 inch ABOVE the first one, and the next 3 would clover leaf between the first and second. Best group was .640 and average was .85.
Using 59 grains of RL22, and Nosler 140 Ballistic Tips- average speed of all groups
The average group size from just the last 3 shot in each string is under .40- and the #1 has a larger than average barrel- so I am sure that heat has some bearing- but all groups had cool down time. The 2nd group shot was the best- and the 4th group was next best- and the last group was worst. No cleaning between groups- but the barrel was spotless before the session. It is "just a hunting rifle"- but I really liked the .640 group and would like to duplicate it more often. 19 of 25 shots were between 3013 and 3023- so large swings in speed were not present.
Anyone with an opinion as to the "pattern" and if you have figured it out- I would like to hear your explanation. Thanks- Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that the barrel isn't free floated? Changing pressure on the forearm, or changing the position of the rest on the forearm, can effect the point of impact with guns that don't have the barrel free floated. If you can try shooting the gun with a bipod, maybe that would keep the forearm position/pressure constant. Just an idea for an experiment...

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I'd say the "pattern" thing is about barrel heating -- not uncommon in two piece stocked rifles and not easy to fix. The first group being one of the worst is probably a result of the clean barrel. The last group being the worst could be because of an overly fouled barrel or recoil fatigue. All in all you are getting pretty darned good accuracy for a #1 or for any ruger for that matter.

<dr280>
posted
I do have a Hicks Acurrizer installed- but don't have it bedded yet. The front stock is floated slightly wuth Hicks in place. I plan to bed it tomorrow and shoot next weekend and play with it a bit. It is a good shooting #1- but I think it came be better. I also think the location of the front rest may have changed between shots- after recoil I am always repositoning (of course) but I didn't give it much thought to pushing back up on the rest- I just check re-adjust the rear rest,,,,something to check next time- thanks.