Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 260 rem vs. 7mm-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yavapaiapache,

a couple of points, for one "I" have a 270win with a 26" barrel in an Encore, it's about the same size as a Rem model 7. So it is Fast and handy.

Second, I find all this talk about the "harsh and sharp" recoil of the .270 to be plain nonsense. If someone (not you) doesnt like the recoil of a .270win, go bow hunting! I cant tell much difference between my .270 and my .243, my .270 is a little heavier, but you would assume most rifles would be heavier in the larger chambering.

Ps. I have owned a .260rem, nothing against it. Just wasnt my cup of tea I guess. Like you were saying though, to each his own. We would be a pretty boring lot if we all shot the same make and models irons. Just glad I can help Big Green, Winny, Ruger & T/C stay in business.

Personally I think the 7mm-08 is probably the "perfect" deer cartridge (If there was such a thing) I still havn't owned one, but it's next on the list!

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken deer with a 22-250, 270, 7mm-08, 7mm-08AI, 7mmRemMag, 30-30, 30-06, 300 WinMag, 44Mag Carbine, 444 Marlin, and probably a couple other rifle chamberings over the last 39 years. All of the deer were equally dead when I tagged them. I've not used a 6mm, 6.5mm, or quarter bore for deer, so I won't comment on them. I will tell you that I won't use any .224 cartridge on deer ever again. I would be comfortable with just about any other cartridge that will easily handle bullets of 115gr or heavier on most deer. Where I hunt, the mature bucks tend to run very large, so I'd prefer something in a 7mm, but most anything will work on deer if shot placement is appropriate. As for 260 vs 7-08, both are plenty for deer at any range at which someone should be shooting at a live game animal as majestic as deer. Both cartridges have accurate bullets available, and both cartridges can be had in rifles that can be made to shoot accurately. Just get what you want and be happy with it,

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote