THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    QUESTION: H4831SC w/ 180 Accubonds in a 300 winchester magnum

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUESTION: H4831SC w/ 180 Accubonds in a 300 winchester magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a load that is extremely accurate in my new custom 300 Winchester. I am shooting 180 Nosler Accubonds over a charge 76.5 grains of H4831SC. Brass is Remington with a Fed 215 mag primer. I can't find any loading data on the net with this exact combo. Older manuals say this amount of powder is OK with other 180 grain bullets. Some newer manuals seem to indicate I would be over max. My fired brass extracts easily, no pressure signs on brass or primers. Velocity is about 3050 fps. Anyone else running a similar load combo. I want to make sure I am within acceptable pressure limits. Anyone have Quickload they could run on this combo?? Thanks for the help. 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fired brass extracts easily, no pressure signs on brass or primers.

I think you've answered your own question, depending on how you define "acceptable pressures". Are "acceptable pressures" those which present no safety hazard, or are they those which allow you to reuse the brass case numerous times?

Although you see no "pressure signs" on the brass or primers, this load may or may not generate enough pressure to expand the case head and lead to loose primer pockets within a few firings. However, it is certainly "safe" in your rifle, since the relatively soft brass case will fail under pressures far less than are required for the hardened steel action to fail.

People mostly shoot a magnum .30 because they want the extra power and velocity it provides, not because they want to generate "standard" cartridge performance at modest pressures. Assuming that your interest is achieving "magnum" performance, then I suspect that "acceptable pressures" are those which allow you to reuse the brass three or four times, but not necessarily reuse it "forever".

Most .300 Winchesters will generate 3050 fps with a 180 gr. bullet when using powder as slow as H4831 -- and do so at pressures which are "safe", but which may eventually stretch primer pockets. I don't think you need to worry about safety, and if you are satisfied with three or four loadings (and possibly more) from your brass, then there is no need to modify an accurate load which is generating near-optimal velocities.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:
I found a load that is extremely accurate in my new custom 300 Winchester. I am shooting 180 Nosler Accubonds over a charge 76.5 grains of H4831SC. Brass is Remington with a Fed 215 mag primer. I can't find any loading data on the net with this exact combo. Older manuals say this amount of powder is OK with other 180 grain bullets. Some newer manuals seem to indicate I would be over max. My fired brass extracts easily, no pressure signs on brass or primers. Velocity is about 3050 fps. Anyone else running a similar load combo. I want to make sure I am within acceptable pressure limits. Anyone have Quickload they could run on this combo?? Thanks for the help. 163bc

I shoot 150gr Accubonds in my Rem 300 Win Mag at 3200 fps with 4831 and have killed many white tail deer and have 1/2" to 5/8" groups at 100 yards.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Stonecreek all excellent points. My aim is to optimize performance of this rifle. Accuracy and velocity continued to get better with the H4831 with each additional 1/2 grain added. That's why I kept going to 76.5 grains. If I can get 3 loadings out of the brass I would be happy. I would be thrilled to get 4. For now I'm gonna load 60 rounds in virgin brass and take em to Namibia in a month or so. Thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For now I'm gonna load 60 rounds in virgin brass and take em to Namibia in a month or so.

Now that's having too much fun!

I have a nice supply of 180 Accubonds loaded for my .300 H&H with a return trip to Namibia in mind. The last time I went I used a .338 with 225 grain Partitions. It was more gun than really needed, but I was unable to get the .30 magnum I had at the time to group the way I wanted, so opted for the .338 which was dependably under two inches at 250 yards. A .30 magnum with 180 Accubonds around the 3,000 fps range is the perfect gun for plains game, particularly if you are in a part of Namibia where the brush is thinner and shots can be long.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Now that's having too much fun!

I was unable to get the .30 magnum I had at the time to group the way I wanted, so..... /QUOTE]

Stonecreek, Is there such a thing as too much fun?? If so I wanna try it !

Your experience with your own 300 Win before your Namibia trip sounds a lot like mine. I have a tried n true 300 Winchester that for reasons I haven't been able to quite figure out yet just started shooting erratically. It got to the point that I knew I had to do something different as I had lost confidence in it and my trip to Namibia was coming on quickly. I have a 300 RUM I could take but I felt better about having a 300 Win. in Africa. I called Hill Country rifles & was able to get my hands on one of their Hill Country Custom Rifles in 300 Winchester still in production but nearly complete. They said they could get it to me in 3 weeks and they did. I have had a half dozen or more 300 Wins in the past all of which shot either 7828 or RL22. I hit the range with test loads in RL22 as it was a proven powder for me in the 300 Win & H4831SC mostly due to the fact that I have a lot of H4831sc on hand & in good supply. My range sessions with the new 300 Win indicated the RL22 would do just fine but the H4831sc (which I usually use in my 270 Win) was spectacularly accurate. Several range sessions later for testing and retesting and the H4831SC load of 76.5 grains had shot several 5 shot groups never going outside 3/4 inch. I also had multiple 3 shot groups of 1/2 or less. The reason I posted the question is that the loading data I found on the H4831SC was quite a bit different depending on the source. Several show 73.0 as max?? I'm now pretty comfortable with the range results and feed back like yours has been positive about pressures so to Namibia I go with it!! Thanks much, Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a trip to Africa on the line you might do this.
Take 3 of your heaviest cases to the range loaded and fire. Reload at the range and fire 4 more times. If the primer pockets are not loose after 5 firings, they should be ok unless you are going where it will be really hot.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use H4831 in my 300 mag as well. I use the load from sierra manual no.2. 78 grains max. That load will run nosler PTs and sierra boat well over 3100. I tried 77 grains with the 180 accubond with no pressure signs at all. Accuracy was superb.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 20 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo 163,

Stonie's advice is always Sage.

For my $0.02 worth H-4831 or H-4831sc is an outstanding powder in all of the cartidges you've mentioned, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM and I'll add 300 Witherbee to "The List", too. I'm sure there's other good powders too and those that even offer better perfomance in each individual cartridge/rifle but when you're stuck as I am with legal constraints on powder storage you gotta make do with what covers alot of bases & is available - H-4831(sc) works.

Your load does not appear to be in the "Pushing-the-Outer-Edges-of-the-Envelope" spectrum to me either if your rifle is digesting that load and you've got good asccuracy. I use 76.0 grs. of either H-4831 or H-4831sc in a 300 Win Mag w/180 gr. Barnes TTSX's, oustanding performance outa a Sauer 202 with good case life.

Have fun with your Boomer in Namibia.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
This post has had me doing a bit of research.

According to the ADI (Australian Defence Industries) manual max load in a 300 Win 180gr with AR2213SC (same thing as H4831SC) is 73gr with a compressed load .... strangely with a 175gr bullet, max is 76.5gr with no compression.

Hornady manual says 74.3gr with 180gr bullet ...

Shows how things vary.

BTW 163bc, after you've loaded up that virgin brass, you just MAY want to take a few to the range to make absolutely sure your new batch works the same as the old - being stuck in the middle of Nam' trying to pull bullets and reweigh powder doesn't sound as much fun as actually hunting.

Just a thought.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:

According to the ADI (Australian Defence Industries) manual max load in a 300 Win 180gr with AR2213SC (same thing as H4831SC) is 73gr with a compressed load .... strangely with a 175gr bullet, max is 76.5gr with no compression.

Shows how things vary.

Similar findings is why I made this post to start with. Seems to be quite a bit of conflicting info regarding H4831 & 180 grain bullets?? Solid info from lots of hunters & shooter as well as my own observations has me thinking I'm good to go with 76.5

posted Hide Post
H-4831 sc is an extreme powder. I like that a lot. It is less temp sensitve than some other powders. Not a bad choice for warm weather hunting.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 20 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Now that we've allayed your trepidation about your loads, what is it that you intend to shoot with them and where in Namibia?

In my one experience there it seems to be not only the most economical place in Africa to hunt, but also perhaps the country with the least red tape and most accommodating to hunters. It attracts lots of Europeans, particularly Germans due to its history as a German colony.

Are you bothering to take a back-up rifle? It is typically unnecessary, but if so be aware that while there is no limit on the number of rifles you may bring, Namibia only allows a person to bring one rifle of a particular chambering. There were three of us in our hunting party and we carried a rifle for each of us, plus one "spare" for the party. This worked well since our guide took a fancy to the Leupold on my rifle. We worked a swap/gift/exchange in lieu of a trophy fee, so I removed it and mounted it on his gun the day before our hunt ended. Then I used the spare .30-06 to hunt warthogs on the last day of our hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone creek, this is my 1st time to Africa. Leaving July 21st. I believe my hunting buddy & i will be somewhere southeast of windhoek. Our PH is Jamy Traut. A mixed bag of plains game is the plan. I really like the kudu, oryx, and other horned animals. We do have the option worked out with the Jamy to move us if time allows to his Caprivi area for buffalo. I plan to have my 375 h&h as a back up on plains game & primary buffalo gun. Much appreciate the advice. Thanks, sam

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best of luck to you Sam! All of us couldn't help but grin from ear to ear the whole time we were in Namibia. We hunted about three hours south of Windhoek in mostly very dry, open country that would remind you of the Desert Southwest of Texas-New Mexico-Arizona. The amount and quality of the game was astounding for such dry country.

It's a long way up to the Caprivi from where you'll be hunting, but I'm sure that the chance to take a buff would be worth the long trip. The change in scenery from the Kalahari to tropical rain forest should make for an interesting contrast. You should find your hunting area to be both cloudless and bugless in July. On the other hand, you might find a bug or two in the Caprivi. Wink

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:

Shows how things vary.

Similar findings is why I made this post to start with. Seems to be quite a bit of conflicting info regarding H4831 & 180 grain bullets?? Solid info from lots of hunters & shooter as well as my own observations has me thinking I'm good to go with 76.5

Bren7X64 is quite correct, H4831SC is just renamed AR2213SC made by ADI for the American market. I use the same powder in my 6.5-06 which according to ADI reloading book has a maximum loading of 49.5gr 2213SC with the 140gr bullet. I use up to 53.0grs of this powder with no pressure issues and have used other AR powders in different cartridges with powder charges above those list as maximum in the book. I think the AR reloading book is pretty conservative when listing maximum loads.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Eagle,

A fair bit of ADIs data is now received from Hogdon.

creating loads, testing them and checking pressures, accuracy and so on is a tremendous job .... ADI just didn't really have the time, people, barrels to do that for everything from .17 Mach 4 up to 505Gibbs ..... Smiler

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote