New
Find
Notify
Tools

most inherently accurate round
 Login/Join

<jrpilot>
posted
What do you feel is the most accurate round of the standard calibers, not the wildcats.

I think i would have to go with the 308,or the 223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
222 Rem.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
6mm PPC

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Ditto Zero Drift:
6MM PPC

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<jrpilot>
posted
I guess i should have said hunting rounds like 243 260 708 308 ece.

<txhunter>
posted
If it must be a hunting round then I'd say Ray is correct. 222Rem, I've killed 4 deer and my sister 1 with that round.

[This message has been edited by txhunter (edited 08-24-2001).]

<10point>
posted
Im interested what feller's are finding out about the 300 WSM. I havnt heard much about it..........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
.22ppc, in tests with multiple equally accurate and smithed rifles it was significantly more accurate than the 6ppc in the Houston warehouse, but the 6ppc wins in the real world outside with wind. As I recall reading the best groups with the .22ppc were about .05, the 6ppc were .07 and the .308 about .10. Not that many animals would ever notice the differences.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make mine the 270 Win.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jrpilot,

This is a bit of a hypothetical question, as all hunting calibers can be made to shoot extremely accurately provided all the necessary components are built for accuracy.

Gatogordo,

Good to see you with us again my friend. have seen you here for a while.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The .222 is the most accurate standard cartridge and has been since it's development and it can be used for hunting. Second would be the .308 Winchester. Some very good gunsmiths have done some work on the 300 WSM and have been getting some great results. Think it will be the winner in the Magnum class when it get out more. Besides the .222 I like the .243, but it isn't as accurate as either the .222 or the .308! Good Luck

<William E. Tibbe>
posted
JR Pilot:

The manner in which you phrased your question allows opinions, so mine is: I FEEL the most accurate round is the one I am shooting at the time I shoot it.

However, if the question had asked which standard cartridge was proven to be the most accurate then I would refer to the various Bench Rest Associations ( IBM )( IBS )records of matches and that would be one of various cartridges that had won the championship. And since they are separated into various light and heavy gun categories there would be multiple answers.

The criteria would have to be agreed upon and it would have to be the smallest group officially measured at the greatest distance.

But then you said wildcats so proprietary cartridges should be allowed. Then it was amended to allow hunting cartridges so that opens the door to the 50BMG.

But in actuality the second most accurate is Warren Jensens, Lost River, .22-284 that shot a one inch group at 400 yards in the wind. And the BIG WINNER has to be that there fella Ray that shot that animal in Africa at 800 meters while it was running and that he has on video. Kinda wondering why he is now saying the 222 Rem is better. Must be a better story we haven't heard yet!

Could you repeat the question?

Kendall Dace.

<Peter Walker>
posted
10Point

300WSM - out of the box Browning ABolt Composite Stalker
- 165gr Fail Safe @ 3099 fps .375" 5 shot 100yds, 2.75" 5 shot @ 300 yds
- 150gr Hornady SST @ 3200 fps .355" 5 shot @ 100yds

I was going to have the action and trigger done but this is more than accurate enough for goat and sheep hunting. If a fellow was to accurize this little sweetheart I'm sure it would do well in benchrest and long range.

...Peter

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Dear Friends,

I've heard this word "inherently" so many times...but never been able to found an "accurate" definition, just mere opinions, of course many of them backed with tangible "proof" ... but nothing else

To me, the real issue here, according to the original post, is what consitutes an "inherently accurate round"

Does anybody out there has a definition of the above ?? I mean a measurable one, independently of guns, actions, barrels, etc

Otherwise, IMHO, talking about this is just talking about statistics, contributing to the more "myths" than we can handle...

The challenge is, can we define a model capable of this, measuring efficiency among other parameters ??

I guess so, and kindly invite others to join into this, in order to terminate with speculation and small talk.

Regards,

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Thanks Peter, Im very happy to hear reports of the 300 WSM, tho they are scarce to find. It sounds like you have a goodie there.

I know the SST is a fine accurate bullet but have you shot any match bullets, or Gamekings out of it ? What bullets and loads have you in tried altogether ?

Also what powder's are you useing, and charges, and primer's ? I have an interest in this round for a super Lightweight MNTN rifle. It would be fun in a Sendero type rifle also, heavy barrel-28" tube-match trigger-super glass.

Thanks.......10

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txhunter:
If it must be a hunting round then I'd say Ray is correct. 222Rem, I've killed 4 deer and my sister 1 with that round.

I bet sister 2 is nervous.
[This message has been edited by txhunter (edited 08-23-2001).]

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
<txhunter>
posted
hehehehe

You caught me! Guilty as charged.

<Peter Walker>
posted
10 Point

I haven't tried any match bullets. Bullets tried are as follows.
- 150 gr CT Balistic Tip - factory & reloads
- 70gr IMR 4350, WLRM Primer - 3294 fps
- 150 gr Hornady SST
- 68gr IMR 4350, WLRM Primer - 3200 fps
- 165 gr Speer GS
- 67gr IMR 4350, WLRM Primer - 3082 fps
- 165 gr Fail Safe
- 69gr IMR4350, WLRM Primer - 3106 fps
- 165 gr Barnes XFB
- 67gr IMR 4350, WLRM Primer - 3099 fps
- 180 gr Win Power Point - factory
- 2955 fps
- 180 gr Barnes XFB
- 69gr RE 22, CCI 200 Primer - 3034 fps
- 180 gr Fail Safe - factory
- 2973 fps
- 200 gr Barnes XFB
- 68 gr RE 22, WLRM Primer - 2895 fps

All of these loads deliver 3 shot groups under 1 inch at 100 yds. This little rifle has a 23" barrel and is a joy to shoot. Although the 200gr X do kick a bit in a 6.5 pound rifle.

All load information is safe in my rifle but may not be in any other. Use the above information at your own risk.

...Peter

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Of the commonly used hunting rounds, I'd say 308 or 7mm-08.

<PaulS>
posted
Well I am going to muddy this up a bit more.

In order for a cartridge to be inherently accurate it must have reliable and consistant ignition, a case that is made of material resiliant enough hold bullets consistantly and a nearly 'square' powder charge that is held with little to no space to shift within the case. The charge diameter should be no more than 1 1/2 times as long as it is in diameter nor should it be more than as wide (diameter) as it is long; and the length should not exceed the primers ability to penetrate to one third it's length.

A hunting load must be able to hold enough powder to propel a heavy bullet (for it's caliber) to around 2700 fps. Let's run this through with a .308 diameter bullet.
If we use a .6 diameter case we are limited to .9 inch length of charge and a case that is no more than 1.4 inches - not enough powder for a hunting load. We could use this 'ideal' load spec with a .22 or 6mm bullet and use a small rifle primer but if we wanted to keep it as a .308 caliber we would have to increase the diameter to about 3/4 inch and the length to 1 1/8 inch to the bottom of the neck. It would require a thick case (compared to 'modern cases' as they exist). With a charge of this diameter we would need a large rifle primer and slow burning powder. It would ignite and burn more consistantly than a long narrow powder charge and pressure would be more affected by powder burn rate than in the long narrow case. The draw-backs would be offset by the improved caracteristics of repeatability.

Drawbacks? Oh YES! An action that is 2 inches in diameter, the bolt would be almost 1 1/4 inches in diameter. The weight would be extreme and the gun, necessarily, massive.

The current cartridges that come closest to this 'ideal' are the PPC, and Bench Rest cartridges (7mm BR). The problem is that these cases don't typically meet the bullet weight and velocity requirements for hunting use by the general hunting population.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As usual Tibbe can't answer a question intelligently without making a flame and/or attempting to stir up trouble. You sir are a silly little man...

I understand that there are many wildcats and simi wildcats that are more inherently more accurate than a 222, such as the 22 or 6MM PPC, but I doubt the 22-284..I was approaching the question from the standpoint of Factory calibers.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Thanks Peter, I printed and saved for "possible" later use. Like I said I have interest in eventually starting a Light mountain type rifle project.

Im watching the evolvement of this cartridge closely with that in mind.........10

<Peter Walker>
posted
10Point

I think you could do a lot worse than choosing this round for a mountain rifle project. Apart from its obvious inherent accuracy, the recoil using 150 and 165gr bullets is really mild. I believe you could drop the overall weight to 6 - 6.5 pounds before the recoil felt close to that of a 300 standard. I've never met anything on the top of a mountain that needed any more than a 180gr at 3000fps.

...Peter

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaulS:
[B]Well I am going to muddy this up a bit more.

In order for a cartridge to be inherently accurate it must have reliable and consistant ignition, a case that is made of material resiliant enough hold bullets consistantly and a nearly 'square' powder charge that is held with little to no space to shift within the case. The charge diameter should be no more than 1 1/2 times as long as it is in diameter nor should it be more than as wide (diameter) as it is long; and the length should not exceed the primers ability to penetrate to one third it's length.

A hunting load must be able to hold enough powder to propel a heavy bullet (for it's caliber) to around 2700 fps. Let's run this through with a .308 diameter bullet.
If we use a .6 diameter case we are limited to .9 inch length of charge and a case that is no more than 1.4 inches - not enough powder for a hunting load. We could use this 'ideal' load spec with a .22 or 6mm bullet and use a small rifle primer but if we wanted to keep it as a .308 caliber we would have to increase the diameter to about 3/4 inch and the length to 1 1/8 inch to the bottom of the neck. It would require a thick case (compared to 'modern cases' as they exist). With a charge of this diameter we would need a large rifle primer and slow burning powder. It would ignite and burn more consistantly than a long narrow powder charge and pressure would be more affected by powder burn rate than in the long narrow case. The draw-backs would be offset by the improved caracteristics of repeatability.

Drawbacks? Oh YES! An action that is 2 inches in diameter, the bolt would be almost 1 1/4 inches in diameter. The weight would be extreme and the gun, necessarily, massive.

The current cartridges that come closest to this 'ideal' are the PPC, and Bench Rest cartridges (7mm BR). The problem is that these cases don't typically meet the bullet weight and velocity requirements for hunting use by the general hunting population.

PaulS

Well done! your approach is very smart, defining a "short list" of desirable designing criteria. Hope this will start a more intelligent discussion here, regarding effectiveness, the real subject of analysis capable of shed some light, not "inherent accuracy" which is a more than vague term...

I will do my research as well, trying to recover an article with very good guidelines on this issue. The author was John Barness.

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
Inherent means of itself, in other words this cartridge would be accurate in the worst rifle you could imagine. There ain't no such thing. There are some cartridges that the manufacturers take more pains with. The lost leader ammo isn't much account, but if they have a premium ammo its more carefully loaded. Accuracy is the result of everything working correctly all the time. You can't look at a rifle and tell if it will be accruate, so how could the cartridge be inherently the most accurate.

<JoeM>
posted
Slam,
Well said.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Slamfire,

Very precise...very well!

At last one of us along with PaulS, saying what others might want to elude. In short, no panacea here, there ain't such thing as a free lunch...

But me must consider, that cartridges itselves being objects under the rules of ballistics, can or can�t have some characteristics, as outlined by PaulS, desirable, in order to make them prone to deliver.

Tks!

<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Slamfire:
Inherent means of itself, in other words this cartridge would be accurate in the worst rifle you could imagine.

I choose to look at it a little differently. Rather than best case/worst case scenario, I look at from the point of view of only the cartridge changing. Nothing about "worst rifle...". If you take that worst rifle & then put different cartidges in it, which one has the best chance of showing good accuracy? On the other end of the spectrum, you can put certain cartridges in a top-notch benchrest gun & never achieve meaningful accuracy.

<PaulS>
posted
An inherently accurate cartridge would, by definition, give consistant results when fired in a 'standard' chamber - without a barrel or rifle associated with it. While no cartridge can provide accuracy when fired from a weapon that is, itself, inaccurate the cartridge can still be 'inherently accurate'. I was under the impression that we were talking about JUST the cartridge and not the results obtained from a cartridge and weapon combination. If we are to include the weapon we would have to include all the variables associated the entire package which would include each component of the cartridge, weapon and shooter in addition to terrain, wind, temperatures, barometric pressures . . . ad infinadum.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

<Roundbutt>
posted
The most accurate round of the standard caliber's in all barrel lengths, bullet weights and types, and velocities is the 38 Special. No other case outperforms it I know of.

<tonylongshot>
posted
Make mine the .308 win work horse!

<vssf>
posted
One more vote for the 308.

Regards

Ray

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
The 6.5 x 55 swede.
Can't believe that it hasen't been mentioned.
Even out of my 100 year old rifle with 20 year old surplus ammo it is extremely accurate over very long distances. To me that really is "Inherant Accuraccy"

Cheers

<R. A. Berry>
posted
In the real world, if not the 6mmPPC, then the 416 Rigby with GS Custom bullets.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

<Roger 4>
posted
hummm,,,when your talking about out of the box needs nothing ,,,put meat on the tabel
everytime accuracy,,,I`d again vote 6.5mm
aka,,264 Win. mag.,,,just tuff to beat.
my 2 cents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roger 4

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Since there is inflation ,I will put my nickle in.For hunting only, I would say that any .30 caliber,with a 165 grain bullet,would be my choice.I have not found a rifle that I have owned in 30 caliber,that would not shoot 165 well.No need to Flame me.This is just my experience,and does not in anyway invalidate your opinions.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Rezdog>
posted
I vote for the venerable .32 Winchester Special. There isn't anything in the State of Rhode Island that I couldn't hunt with this round.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. A. Berry:
In the real world, if not the 6mmPPC, then the 416 Rigby with GS Custom bullets.

RAB, Based on your groups with Mitch's rifle, maybe the most inherently accurate cartridge is the .577 Tyranosaur!!! Thing is, besides you and Mitch, who'd ever know?! If there was such a thing as a "masochistic benchrest competition", maybe we could find out.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 win mag and a good 165 gr bullet at 3,00-3,100fps.

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote