One of Us
posted
Saw this at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5...ive-media-97817.html

Anybody tried it for case cleaning?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An what were you considering it for ? Polishing ? I'd pass an bite the price dif and purchase REAL KNOWN quality media .
I do believe you'll be a lot happier and I know personally it will do a MUCH MUCH Better job . The Latter is what I myself use in Synthetic shapes and I got them so long ago and they LAST an LAST . I'll NEVER have to purchase them again , an I produce 5-7K cartridges per year .

http://www.kingspolishing.com/...l.aspx?contentid=816

http://www.kramerindustriesonl...m/tumbling-media.htm

http://www.mikro1.com/supplies/vibra2.pdf

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I work in the thermoplastic industy and have used 30% glass filled nylon in my vi-bro bowl and in left my brass very clean but matt.

I went back to corncob and car wax.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
used 30% glass filled nylon in my vi-bro bowl and in left my brass very clean but matt.

That sounds perfect to me.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used plastic media much like Doc224/375 showed us in industry. One huge advantage over corn cob and walnut is you can wash it.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I failed to mention ; Media comes in all sorts of abrasive quality's ,so selection is paramount !.

From flour too chunks ,spheres ,disc ,cylinders ,triangles all sorts of shapes and nearly any abrasive concoctions you can imagine imbedded within plastic or synthetic media .

Combinations of media ( within reason ) produces superior finishes IMO ,than simply a single type .

Want jewelry polish finishes look into ceramic balls and cylinders ( Woods are you eying in on that ? I may be able to pry you away from that flitz spinning thingy Eeker tu2 ) .

I have NO affiliations with any of the companies I posted . So I would suggest if any of you are truly interested in substituting standard media or enhancing yours , contact Kramer Industries ASK them what they recommend ?. Then either form a collective pool purchase whatever, an split it between you . Different types of machines ,power an weight of media makes a substantial difference in effectiveness also .

The one thing I've become aware of over the years is , everybody has an opinion as to what a finished case should look like .

Some prefer Sparkle Jewelry and others are OK with clean an dull ,then there's those who are in between, An I fall into that group ! beer

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
After years of using walnut media with rouge I switched to stainless steel media.

Although there is a outlay for a new tumbler and the handling is a bit different after the tumbling is done, the results are nothing short of spectacular.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Some time it surprises me how at times reloaders take sometings to the nth degree that have little real significance. I plead guilty also. How do it shoot? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
used 30% glass filled nylon in my vi-bro bowl and in left my brass very clean but matt.

That sounds perfect to me.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

PRAY FOR OBAMA... PSALMS 109:8

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

I'm drawn toward it like a magnet every time I'm in there. What we really need is for "you" to Test some of it and let us know how well it works. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

I'm drawn toward it like a magnet every time I'm in there. What we really need is for "you" to Test some of it and let us know how well it works. Big Grin

At $4 a pound for crap probably from China, I think I'll stick with good old made in the USA ground walnut shells.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If anyone would like to try some 30% glass filled nylon PM me.

For shipping and the small cost of the plastic I can send you a flat rate box full for you to try.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ted,

Do you use the stuff straight or mixed?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have only used it a couple times because it left me with a matt finish and I like bright shinny jewels.

I used it with no polish, just the plastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For cases which can pass for Jewelry :

http://www.kramerindustriesonl...eramic-polishing.htm

NO Woods , I will not aspire too your level of shine ,Ive grown quite fond of squeezing those triggers !. clap

Range time is paramount other wise I too ,might have slipped too the DARK SIDE of SHINY !!!. clap rotflmo jumping

salute archer archer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At $4 a pound for crap probably from China, I think I'll stick with good old made in the USA ground walnut shells.
Big Grin I also wonder what is REALLY in it. bewildered

No plastic (nor Nails) for me either, just good old Corn Cob and Walnut. And I'm NOT standing Inspection, so they just need to be clean so they function properly.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote