THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Federal Premium 180g Partitions vs Sellier & Bellot 180 grain Partitions for '06.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Premium 180g Partitions vs Sellier & Bellot 180 grain Partitions for '06.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Anyone get great groups from either of these factory loads? Won't be shooting my two '06's enough to warrant buying dies to reload.
Just curious how the two stack up to cheaper ammo.
Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
some factory ammo shoots good in some rifles, and not in others. one brand might shoot good in mine and not yours, the other might shoot good in yours but not mine.. let your rifle tell you which one it likes better..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I get it. Just looking for any comparisons/experiences on these two.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your looking for something up to 300 yards both should work fine.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for chiming in Pdog. I know you've warmed a few barrels.
Have you tried either of these? A great bullet is only as good as the consistency of the load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Selliers @ Bellot in my 7x57R it works well.

The people I know who shoot Federals like it. The last federal I tested for some one. was 165gr Federal premium SD was 5fps.

The only way you can be sure is buy a box of each ammo you might want and shoot it for group.

Any left over stuff use for practice.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'm sold on the Federal 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bought a box each of 165 & 180's to try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 Federal Premium 180 NP shoot well 1"-1.5" at 100.
Winchester Powerpoints shot the best in my mdl 70. I can't come up with a load that shoots better. Every barrel's different so try the cheap stuff first.
Dunhams !5.99/box.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Anyone get great groups from either of these factory loads? Won't be shooting my two '06's enough to warrant buying dies to reload.
Just curious how the two stack up to cheaper ammo.
Thanks.

a set a lee dies are about $30. I would buy a set, the cost of about 1 to 2 boxes of ammo for a lot of versatility and usually better accuracy.
As far as S & B ammo goes, I bought a bunch in 22 Hornet and it shot very accurately and the Hornet is not usually an accurate cartridge in my Ruger #3.
I have not shot factory ammo for a long time. My Federal 30-06 is 180 grain Blue Box with a price sticker from Cabelas that says $6.99 if that gives you a clue.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My Merkel likes the 180NP FP's. My Mauser M12 likes the 165's. Interestingly enough, the M12 likes Rem Corlokts almost as much as the 165 NP's.
My other post has some target pix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot handloads. My '06 shoots the Federal 180 gr. partitions good enough for hunting. I take the Federals to Africa and leave the unused with the ph.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep, my fair weather K3 likes 'em.
Close enough for whitetails.
Click for a larger picture.

QUOTE]Originally posted by nopride2:
I mostly shoot handloads. My '06 shoots the Federal 180 gr. partitions good enough for hunting. I take the Federals to Africa and leave the unused with the ph.

Dave[/QUOTE]