THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    The most accurate calibre in comparison to expectations

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most accurate calibre in comparison to expectations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The most accurate calibre in comparison to expectations I think might be the 416 Rigby.

In other words I think the percentage of 416 Rigby owners that are happy with the accuracy of their rifle is higher than with any other calibre.

I think there are two basic reasons. Firstly groups of an 1" or 1.5" look much better when big diameter bullets are used. Secondly, the 416 Rigby owners are only looking for ballistics that are about 250 f/s below what the calibre can achieve and so they have lots of loading flexibility.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It wouldnt surprise me. Many large bores are fairly accurate, its the owners who oftan have trouble proving that. Other than that I am not sure what your getting at? Elaborate.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smallfry

Accuracy achieved as measured against expectations, wants, desires etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
6.5 Swede always suprised me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see. Understood, though a fairly subjective concern. I think those are good reasons, and also believe that this is oftan demonstrated because many 416s have scopes. But if reasoning was entirely based on the fact *they* had scopes, it would not explain the 375 being "behind it" in accuracy.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smallfry

As my handle would suggest I ahve owned the odd 375 [Big Grin]

I have also owned two 460 Wbys and found those to be more "accurate" than the 375 when measured against my testing and expectations. I think two basic reasons in this case. With the 460s I just settled on 500 grain hornadies and 115 grains IMR 4350 and 85 grains of IMR 4064 for a 2000 f/s load. Pressure of both loads very mild. With the 375 I would load much closer to full ballistics and also try out far more loads/bullets/powers all of which adds up to more testing which in turn increases the odds of accuracy problems surfacing.

Come to think of it the 460 Wby and 450 Dakoats both seem to show "happiness with accuracy" on these forums and both tend to be loaded back below their full potential.

Mike

[ 03-17-2003, 17:32: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you mike as to the 375&416. As to the 460 and 450 I donno, I have never owned one nor shot one. But I have owned a 450 ack and shoot a 458 lott, both I do not oftan shoot over 2200.

<JBelk>
posted
Mike375---

It's been way too long since we disagreed on something. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'd vote for the 22LR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Why don't you visit the Political Forum where Saeed and I are pounding the Republican pro invasion boys. [Big Grin]

Mike

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The most accurate in comparison to expectations for me has been the 480 Ruger revolver. I've been able to make every cast bullet I've tried print a 1" 50 yd group, not bad for a factory sixgun.

Now, if a contender handgun printed like that, I'd be quite discontent.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I think the 30-378 WBY would be my choice.
My 30-378 Weatherby Accu mark was a LOT more accurate than the 4 300WBY's I had owned,2 x 308's and my 30-06.
In fact it is the most accurate Weatherby I have owned which is now 20 ,and no other Sako,Remington hunting rifle I have owned or used would get near it in this regard.
I have also heard similar accuracy results from other 30-378 owners.
One of Weatherbys best in my opinion.
I am also very Happy with my 460.
Regards,
Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 Haven't you got that pounding wrong? seems to me that the pro war folks have you by a right comfortable margin.

My vote is for the 22LR

Posts: 353 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote