New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-416 rigby improved
 Login/Join

<hojo>
posted
Iam new to this site and fairly new to reloading . Iam looking for any reloading Imformation on this cartridge. not sure where to start. any Imformation would be great thank you. hojo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
I've seen it mentioned sometimes here. Its a typical long range cartridge.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.
(And YES, I'm a NRA member!)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
I heard it mentioned in a magazine recently; Im thinking it was an article in G&A about extreme long range shooting. Not sure though. I like the way it sounds. You find any info on it, post it here will ya. Id like to know how fast this thing would shoot a 250 gr Partition.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
David-
I don't know what velocities he's getting, but I met a guy who killed an Elk at 2890 yards with it. BTW- he used a Match King for that (300gr).

It's also mentioned in Steve Hanson's "A Varmint Hunter's Oddysey".

Lee

Posts: 7522 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I just got an email from Darrel Cassel who has this cartridge, Boyd Heaton had told me to email him for the info. He has kindly responded.

It is a Rigby case with 0.015" body taper base to shoulder, 35 degree neck and neck length of 0.338". In a 37" barrel is pushes the 300gr Sierra Matchking 3300fps.

This is exactly what I had been thinking of doing to the Weatherby case to try to simulate the .338 Excalibur. There is a fellow who has one of these, I have been corresponding with him and I am waiting for him to send me some velocity data. Either way you cut it gents, these are BIG friggin' guns.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Gents - What is wrong with the .338 Lapua? You have brass, dies, reamers, custom-factory ammo, and hand-loading data already available. There is not 50 fps between a .416-.338 wildcat and the .338 Lapua.

By attempting to increase the case capacity beyond the Lapua, you wind up burning considerably more powder for only a few fps difference. You are truly at the edge of diminishing returns.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote