Notify
Tools

N110 in a reduced .223 load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Max
posted
Hi guys!

I was wondering, has any of you ever tried to use Vihtavuori N110 in a reduced load for a .223 rifle?

Vihtavuori powders are the cheapest you can get here, and I think that N110 could be suited to load a .223 cartridge with, for instance with the 45 grains Speer Spitzer...or maybe even 55 grains jacketed bullets?

I'm mainly asking because I'd like to reload a cartridge that doesn't generate much report and is cheap...so I can train more often.

posted Hide Post
Hi Max

I have tested 16grn N110 behind a Remington 45 grn HP.
Presision (3/4" at 100m) and point of impackt is close to full power loads. Barrel stays coool for many shots.
This is in a Sako Vixen.

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the threads over in the "Small Caliber" Forum on Blue Dot loads for .223. Some good stuff there. I've started using a few & so far this looks like what I'll be shooting for a while.
Loner

Posts: 25 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Max
posted Hide Post
I have read the thread about the Blue Dot .223 reduced loads. The thing is, althought I am interested, my local dealer does not sell Aliant powders. And besides, I have been told that when using pistol powder, you should load your cartridges with cast or copper plated bullets....for jacketed bullets I've been advised to always use rifle powder. As N110 is the fastest burning Vihtavuori riflepowder, I thought it might be useable for a reduced .223 load.

I tested a 14,0 grains load yesterday, with a 55 grains Winchester PSP. When I pulled the trigger, I kinda expected a loud KABOOM and detonation, because this load fills the cases maybe half. But nope: only a slight bang and almost no recoil. Works great, although my rifle does not eject the empty cases reliably...nor does it strip a fresh round from the magazine. Accuracy was about 2.5 MOA, mainly due to stringers. Hmmm...not very good, but that could be me: I'm not used to shooting a recoil-free rifle. Besides, this was only a test load to see if it would fire.
I'll try the 15grs N110 load with a 45grs Speer Spitzer next time...maybe that one works better.

By the way: I never crimp my .223 cartridges. Should I do so now, when I use fast powder that only fills the case about half-way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,

It sounds like you are using an AR 15 or some sort of auto.

I don't have access to VV powders here where I live, our at least reliably.

However recently somewhere in print I saw loads for a the V V 110 in a 223, so it is being done somewhere.

Just work up and that is how I discover things. I use a bolt action tho, and start low. Bolts are much more forgiving and easier to load develope.

Your bio does say where you are from so can't advise you on other powders.

And the thing you were told that you must use lead bullets instead of jacketed bullets with Reduced loads is NOT correct.
Jacketed bullets just shoot fine.

In bigger bores, the jacketed bullet may not get enough velocity to open up on game, which Is what I am sure your source was refering to. IN small caliber varmint weight cases it is no problem at all, since fragile varmint bullets are available.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
" And besides, I have been told that when using pistol powder, you should load your cartridges with cast or copper plated bullets....for jacketed bullets I've been advised to always use rifle powder. "

Max, "someone" has lied to you. They probably didn't know any better.
This is reloading today. Why not use your favorite gun in the off season for potting groundhogs or target practice that don't beat you up. The barrel will probably last a lot longer too.
Some times you just have to put the "Old wives tales" where they belong.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote