New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 with Varget
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use Varget in the '06? I see in most of the books, the performance is similar to IMR 4064 as far as velocities and amounts. I may try it for the 168 gn. XLC's.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Ken, I use 50.5grs. of Varget with 150BTs, very good accuracy, for the 168 I'd use 4350 or RE19, if your going after deer, I'd use the 150BT, don't need them overpenetrating bullets on deer, might be nice for an elk though. Just my .02. Jay
PS. You work at Graphic Packaging?

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

Thanks for the info. I had 3 boxes of the 168 XLC's left over from another project, so I'll probably at least try them.
Nope, I don't work there.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I've tried it with 165 gr. bullets with good results. Probably best for bullets up to 165 gr., not heavier. h4350 is a good one for 165 gr. and 180 gr., H4831 or similar for 200 gr.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the above. The 50.5 gr for N BT is very accurate in my rifle. I would pick another bullet for deer though. I have lost several with that bullet. Operator error? Maybe but I don't think so. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I used Varget, & H-414, in my 06's. For Varget, I use it with the Barnes 130 XLC. After trying 5 different powders, Varget gives me the best accuracy, & vel.

With the Barnes 168gr. XLC, & 168gr. TSX, ( in fact with 165 or 168 gr. bullets from Hornady, & Sierra ) I get the best vel. with H-414, but Varget gives me a "tad" better accuracy. I don't have any thing to measure pressure, just use the methods recommended by others, sticky bolt, flatten primers, etc., but I would like to know the pressures between the two powders. I, like a lot of reloaders, try never to "push the envelope" on vel., instead try for accuracy with reasonable vel.

I have "cronographed" a lot of the loads. I get less "SD" with Varget, am not sure that's worth anything for a hunting load. Just my .02 cents

Posts: 182 | Location: Va. | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote