Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspacing 30-06 question
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to reloading, and I was headspacing my model 700. With Nosler Ballistic Tip 180 grains, my overall maximum length in the chamber came out to be 88.02mm or 3.465 inches. That seems kind of long to me because my store bought Federal Premium measures at 81.27mm and the Hornady Light Mag measures at 81.9mm.

Does this seem too long to anyone else, and how far should I back off to allow for safety?

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I don't think we're talking about "headspace" Headspace is the distance from the boltface to the chambers shoulder if not a rimmed or belted case.

But perhaps, about "over all cartridge" aka as OAL length. That's measuring from the tip of the bullet to case head.

The length of your magazine might limit this but a better measurement might be to measure to where the bullet contacts the lands (datum line to casehead).

Pushing a bullet into the lands can cause problems.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was wroooong again! I am looking for a reasonable OAL for the 30-06. I lubed up a bullet and worked it in and out of the neck until it would move fairly easily, then lightly seated it in and loaded it into the chamber. After opening and closing the bolt a couple of times I took it back out and measured. I thought I might back off about a tenth of an inch from there and go with it. Is that a bad system?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the lands of the rifle can grab the bullet and pull it back out of the case neck. There would be no way of telling this with your method.

A better method is to buy a Stoney Point Gauge

<A HREF="http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=709931" TARGET=_blank>http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=709931

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=570611</A>
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=724733
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=761522

It is an exact method after learning to use it

http://www.accurateshooter.com/

if it takes you to the main page click on the TOP TECHNICAL FEATURES right below the FIND box and the Stoney Point Gauge picture one up from the bottom on the right hand side.

Maybe HC will be along to let you know how the old timers do it with his way of doing it (he's the bubblegum/duct tape/baling wire expert Big Grin)

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I loaded 15 rounds with a max OAL of 3.4385 and tried the marker test with no scratches. My magazine does fine with a full 5 rounds. Maybe they just seem really long because I'm using these plastic tipped Nosler's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get you hands on a factory loaded 220gr RN and notice where the .300 diameter is (relitive to the case head). Now note where that .300 diameter is on your Fed and Hornady factory rounds is. Factory 30-06 throats have to be long enough to safely fire the longest (base to .300 diameter) factory loads.
BTW, the "need to be close to the lands for accuracy" thing is a old wives tale.

Your longest practicle OAL is .035 shorter than the maximum the magazine will accept (otherwise you will get rounds jammed in the mag, don't ask how I know this). Find your most accurate load at this length (mag max - .035) than try groups with the OAL shortened in .010 increments (at this point your fine tuning the barrel harmonics). I don't load 180's in mine, (it prefers 150gr NBT's) so I can't advise you on a powder choice.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, the "need to be close to the lands for accuracy" thing is a old wives tale.

While I have had a couple rifles that shot better with a certain bullet far off the lands. I've had way more shoot their best groups just off the lands. My normal starting point is .01 off is the magazine will allow it and back up if need be. I will normally step the powder and bullet I've chosen over the range of velocity I find acceptable. If a get a load that lookings promising then I will adjust the distance off the lands.

I don't ever remember adjusting the bullet jump to turn a 3" group into a 1" group. It might turn a 1" group into a 7/8" group. I'm sure others have had different experiences.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...A better method is to buy a Stoney Point Gauge...It is an exact method after learning to use it
jumping By the time most folks learn, they are toooooooo old to care. rotflmo
quote:
...Maybe HC will be along to let you know how the old timers do it with his way of doing it (he's the bubblegum/duct tape/baling wire expert Big Grin)
Hey Spiffy, I resemble those remarks. Big Grin

If you want a way that actually works check out the BEST way ever to determine Seating Depth.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Maybe HC will be along to let you know how the old timers do it with his way of doing it (he's the bubblegum/duct tape/baling wire expert )

or the "other way"

Using the Stoney Point

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote