New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57I Reloading and reccomendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was graciously loaned a set of reloading dies to reload some 8x57I for an old custom mauser I acquired. When I went to price components Winchester brass was out and Hornady brass was... well... more than I wanted to pay.

I searched for commercial 8x57 IS that I could reload and all I could find was Prvi. Upon searching about the quality of their brass I found a number of sources that stated they (Prvi) make Hornay's brass. Whether that is true or not...

Regardless is was less expensive to purchase loaded 8x57IS Prvi rounds, pull the bullets and re-size. I bought some Woodliegh 200gr RN bullets that closely matched the 196gr bullets that came in the ammo.

I chronographed 5 rounds and got the following results.

Compared to my Nosler manual these are 500 to 600 fps too slow. Two things pop out to me as immediate explanations. First it is Commercial 8x57 which is notoriously slow and under powered in the US. Second, when i loaded the rounds I loaded them .125 short of max OAL which put the base of the bullet much further forward of the 196 gr FMJ BT.

Suggestions? Seat the bullet deeper? Shoot up the remaining rounds and develop a load on their own?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot or pull them down and reload to suit your needs. Don't believe the .125 short of max OAL had a lot to do with your results. I think the ammo is anemic from the get go.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldI've used PRVI ammo and brass in a fair number of rifles and NEVER had a bit of trouble. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might help if you would state the load (what powder and how much). The internal capacity can vary between various brands of brass, but that variation will virtually never account for more than 50 fps or so in velocity.

Data for the 8x57 is usually very conservative, but considering that you are loading for what may be a pre-WW-II sporter in which the steel may or may not be up to more recent standards it is probably wise to stay on the conservative side. However, it should be no problem for an 8x57 to propel a 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps or so and stay within very sustainable pressures.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It might help if you would state the load (what powder and how much). The internal capacity can vary between various brands of brass, but that variation will virtually never account for more than 50 fps or so in velocity.

Data for the 8x57 is usually very conservative, but considering that you are loading for what may be a pre-WW-II sporter in which the steel may or may not be up to more recent standards it is probably wise to stay on the conservative side. However, it should be no problem for an 8x57 to propel a 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps or so and stay within very sustainable pressures.

tu2The Equadorian 196 grain bullet produces just a hair under 2500 fps.( measured ). beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there should be data available for the 8x57.
they didn't suffer from the small ring thing the 7 does, but it did have the smaller bore to contend with.
you just have to match up the bore and bullet properly.
and then work up to your comfort level with the rifle.
in my remington 700 i can easily push a 150gr bullet to the same speeds as the 0-6.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It might help if you would state the load (what powder and how much).

Ah, the load is whatever Prvi uses. I just pulled the bullet, dumped the load into my scale's tray, sized, chamfered, put powder back in, seated bullet.

My Nosler book has a few 200gr 8x57 loads. I'll try to keep the loads below 2500fps, though I have little doubt to the integrity and strength of the action.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they are commercial rounds that is about
the right velocity. They are loaded to
32 Special specs.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just curious why you are using 200gr bullets? Last year I resurrected a late war Mauser that my dad liberated from Germany. Loaded 160gr TTSX with 48gr IMR4320 for 2750fps. This approximates my standard -06 deer load of 150gr at 2750fps. I don't have any reason to use a heavier bullet except maybe eland.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
200gr bullets were the only ones available. I looked through a few companies that sell reloading components and that was all that I could find.

Who makes the 160 gr TTSX? Who carries them?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they didn't suffer from the small ring thing the 7 does, but it did have the smaller bore to contend with.

The 1888's manufactured by Lowe were smeared by anti-Semites because a few failed. The design was flawed but it had an effect on the perceived strength of the 88 rifles.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by craigster:
Barnes.

Midway:QUOTE]

Ah, yes. It is an 8x57I not an IS. .318 vs .323

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Barnes.

Bummer. Time to start casting. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Barnes.

I must have been exceeding the speed reading speed limit.