Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Disposal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I have just finished pulling bullets from several big bore cartridges. What is the best way to dispose of the powder? Anything wrong with flushing it down the toilet and into my septic?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Just go throw it out in the grass in your front yard.

<JOHAN>
posted
SBT

I prefer to use matches roflmao

Cheers Cool
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
I have the same prob, I have 1/2 lb or so of AA2520 and no damm use for it any more !!! I rather through a match to it than through it out....

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put it in a coffee can and throw matches at it from a distance.

Be sure you are far enough away from the house and any low hanging branches. Pistol powder throws about an 8 foot flame. Really slow rifle powder is boring.

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm always picking up loaded rounds at the range and I just pull the bullets and save the powder in a old can. When it gets too full I just pour a line along the cracks in the sidewalk or driveway and light it. Smokeless powder burns so slow that there's no real hazard and it gets rid of the weeds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
put it on an anthill and let them incorporate it for a while....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spread it thinly for fertilizer on yard or garden.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is pistol powder, put it into an IMR 4381 can, shake it to mix the powders and leave it next to the coat rack at the gun show Smiler.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBabcock:
Just go throw it out in the grass in your front yard.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, this stuff is some of the best fertilizer, just spread it where it will do some good.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, this stuff is some of the best fertilizer

Seems like modern powder is made to NOT decompose easily...so how long does it take to break down when partially buried in the lawn? I hear stories about bringing up WWII ammo from shipwreacks and the cases are cracked and corroded enough to open with a fingernail, and the powder lights immediately and easily when hit with a match...

I need to run an experiment or 3, but my gut instinct is that it is quite a while, even in our S. Texas heat!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH,
Having been in South Texas in the summer, you had better finish those experiments before June, or it may ignite on it's own!

Mike

Posts: 34 | Location: Galveston, Texas, USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not run any experiments so this is mostly conjecture, but what causes other organic compounds in the soil to decompose? Microbes! All those tiny balls, flakes or cylinders are getting gobbled up by microbes releasing NPK into the soil for the plants to uptake.

I don't know about it being the best fertilizer but I can damn sure guarantee it's the most expensive!

If you store your gunpowder in a cool, dry enviroment like is recommended it will last for decades.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
If it is pistol powder, put it into an IMR 4381 can, shake it to mix the powders and leave it next to the coat rack at the gun show Smiler.
lawndart

Hey, are you the guy who has been leaving loaded rounds of 30-06 at the range stuffed with a full charge of Bullseye powder?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm too much of a fire bug. Pour a long line of it out and touch a match to one end. Keep it a distance from any thing combustible, it is a hot flame.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put all my disposable powder into a clearly marked can until I get about a pound. When the desired amount is aquired it goes into a pickle jar or any glass or metal container with a slightly resticted neck and drop a lit punk or cigarette in and let her go. The results are quite spectacular.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
lawndart

Hey, are you the guy who has been leaving loaded rounds of 30-06 at the range stuffed with a full charge of Bullseye powder?

I think he works on the show "Candid Camera".

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Work it into cigerettes and give them to people who always leach a smoke.Its even more fun on the homeless beggars on street corners.Especially if they are really drunk.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
mix it with tannerite...

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote