Find
Notify
Tools

I wonder why...?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted
DISCLAIMER: it's not my intention to open a negative debate over which cartridge is better, on the contrary, I'm just trying to establish (if possible) a rationale.

We have the .300 Win Mag with a good balance of terminal performance and an impressive array of bullets suitable to target shooting, hunting and long range operation, so why do we got impressed by cartridges such as the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM, or the various .264s or the .270 WCF ??

My point is, do we need them, when all their extraordinary powers are easily attainable or even surpassed b one the best designs (perfomance vs. action lenght) of all times?

Tks!

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Because people like variety?
Because people insist on something "new" quite often.
Because people always have to be the first kid on the block with something "new".
Because some people believe everything that is on television and in the ragazines.
Because the manufacturers know what some people believe, and are willing to sell "snake oil" as a "cure all", and naturally this year's "snake oil" is sooooo much better than last year's!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with your list of reasons, but I was looking for a justification well beyond my mindset, probably coming from other fellows having decided to go the way of same of the mentioned cartridges.

I have nothing against them, (bold statement) but I don't see a reason for them, especially from a perfomance standpoint, they offer nothing new.

My question is, besides marketing or emotional reasons, does exist any justificaction for them?

tks!

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo:
Well, my .270 Win. has always worked very well for me on sheep, caribou, etc. Why should I resort to a small bore artillery piece such as the .300 Eargensplittenloudenboomer? Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I have a .300 Mag. I love it.But I also own a 30/06,6mm Rem.,2 .308's,.220 Swift,a coupla .22's and even a Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H magnum. And I don't even hunt.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, consider this:
1-Need really has nothing to do with it.
2-We have reached the limits of the method, considering the materials and design possibilities. Manufacturers need something with which to stimulate sales. It's a money thing, pure and simple. There is really no other way to keep sales up.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One could argue the case for progressive steps upward in power, but that could take a lifetime, so I'll do it differently.

Why so many calibres you wonder? Think of it like this, it's possible to overhaul your car with a crescent wrench and pliers, but not recommended. More tools make it easier.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just about the same reasons, same results and same fallacies as God making blondes, brunettes and redheads...

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Because, Gustavo, it makes no sense at all to own 50, or 100, or 1,000 rifles all chambered for one cartridge! There has to be an excuse to buy a new rifle!!

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Ok folks...

Back to my initial point.

Of course, lots of cartridges out there were and are performing nicely, even some of them for the las 100 ears.

My point is, are some of them, especially the new ones, better than what we already have?? Am I missing something here ??

tks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what has been said by everyone else. To answer your latest question, if you want a light weight mountain gun, then the 300wsm is a better way to go(shorter action=lighter weight). If you want to really reach out and touch something far away(not my style, but some guys like it), then the 300ultramag might be a better choice. So, yes, depending on the situation, some of the newer rounds are theoretically 'better'. Can it all be done with just a 300winmag? Of course, but dont tell my better half!!!

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If there were only .30-06s & .375h&hs, we could all happily hunt everything that walks this planet. It's just about having something different, not necessarily better. That being said, I only own (1) rifle chambered for a factory cart., a .280, and that is barely a factory cart. I like to be different, not efficient or convenient. That's just me.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some consider a 300 Magnum optimum for big game at long range. However they kick like heck. If one just pokes a hole in some animal it will die anyway just about all of the time. So smaller bullets will work. Use a weak enough round and the "time" might be after dark.

Bob Hagel is considered by most to be the authority on such matters. He favored a 7mm Mashburn Super that launched a 175 gr bullet at about 3000 fps. That's in the same class as a 300 Magnum of course.

The late Les Bowman felt that the 300 mag owners did the worst shooting. He championed the 7mm RM as it kicks less.

Lot's of options and trade off in rifles. It's very interesting.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ok folks...

""My point is, are some of them, especially the new ones, better than what we already have??"" Of course not. They are just new toys for those who want to play with them. Welcome to the sand box.

Is it possible your next question will be ( Why are there Wildcatters?)
tks!

Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

DISCLAIMER: it's not my intention to open a negative debate over which cartridge is better, on the contrary, I'm just trying to establish (if possible) a rationale.

We have the .300 Win Mag with a good balance of terminal performance and an impressive array of bullets suitable to target shooting, hunting and long range operation, so why do we got impressed by cartridges such as the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM, or the various .264s or the .270 WCF ??

My point is, do we need them, when all their extraordinary powers are easily attainable or even surpassed b one the best designs (perfomance vs. action lenght) of all times?

Tks!

Good point. I think we should eliminate all you mentioned except for the 270. Not everyone will agree with my decision, and that, my friend, is the answer to your question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be sarcastic but other 30 magnums were around before the 300 Win. came into being. It does nothing that could already be done with the 300 Weatherby or 308 Norma as examples.Never could figure why the 300 Win. was developed except to make more sales, which it did with great success.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Variety and marketing. With just a .22 LR, .30-06, and a .375 or .458 you can take down any game on the planet. People just like different things, that's all. So long as the marketing types can think of a way to do it, they'll keep introducing new stuff to get people to spend money on it.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
De gustibus non disputantum est!!

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Ok folks...Back to my initial point. Of course, lots of cartridges out there were and are performing nicely, even some of them for the las 100 ears. My point is, are some of them, especially the new ones, better than what we already have?? Am I missing something here ??

No, they are not! (Better!!) Yes, you are (missing something!!) They DON'T HAVE TO BE BETTER! All they have to do is create the desire in a consumer to purchase one. They seem to be doing this!!

tks!

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,
If my wife ever gets hold of this thread and figures out that it's "want" and "need" has absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm going to travel to Buenos Aires and look you up! Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote