New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/06 belgian bar light load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a wack of 150 grain projectiles given to me..I would like to come up with a load that is super low recoil,but still dependably going to operate the bolt..I cant say what its for...But it is legal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forget about it. There isn't a 150gr bullet made that will open properly at low velocity on a herd of the neighbors house cats. Just go will full-power!
---

You might try looking at the Hodgdon web site and try some of their Reduced H4895 Loads. There just has to be enough gas available to cycle the action with whatever Powder you use. Years ago I used H4895 to produce some Low-Recoil Loads for a 308Win M100. Don't know for sure it will do the same for a 30-06 BAR, but it should.

I used some of the Blue Dot Loads our buddy Seafire developed for the 223Rem last year in a semi-auto and they would not cycle the action. That was just what I was looking for though, so I didn't have to go scouring the ground for the Cases.

So, I don't know if the Blue Dot Seafire Loads would cycle your action or not. You probably have a better chance of doing it as you use a bit more of the slower(Edit: In relation to Blue Dot. I should have said Medium Burn Rate Powders) powders, but that is all guessing on my part. Hopefully someone has already done what you are looking for and will provide an experienced method.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As HotCor suggests, 4895 is as good a powder as any to try. It is fast enough that you are not subject to S.E.E. with light loads, so simply start very light and work up to the point that your action cycles properly.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is IMR or Hodgdon 4198 at about 25 grains and work up to see what will operate the bolt....

I have not been impressed with the consistency of accuracy with the H 4895 loads.... All I have tested seem to have some sort of "sweet spot" which varies by individual rifle, but in between it can throw bullets all over the place....

4198 and down have shown a lot more consistency....

4198, Rl 7, SR 4759, 2400, Blue Dot and 5744 are the ones to look at, in that order.... in my opinion....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just re-reading and noticed something in my first post that can be mis-leading. Just Edited it and here it is again:

You probably have a better chance of doing it as you use a bit more of the slower(Edit: In relation to Blue Dot. I should have said Medium Burn Rate Powders) powders,
---

Using "small ammounts" of Powders traditionally thought of as Slow is a bad choice of words. Slow Powders used below the "Minimum" listed Loads for them can result in Pressure Spikes created by Detonation or the Secondary Explosion Effect. Therefore "Slow" should not have been mentioned.

Either the H4895 or the H4198 fall into the Medium Burn Rate group and should provide just what you are looking for.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote