New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes "TSX" Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
They are a definite improvement over the standard configuration. I believe they will eventually drop the non-TSX design.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger MkII in 7Mag that drove me crazy trying to find any bullet that would shoot consistently. Out of desperation I tried the 140 grain TSX and couldn't be happier. The gun hated the standard Barnes, but loves the TSX bullet. I bought 5 boxes to make sure I had enough before they changed them again.

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have just tried some 130 gr. in a 260 and they shoot very good in my rifle. So far just four three-shot groups but they have been .430" to .75" out of a M700. Give 'em a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes TSX bullets are the most accurate of any bullets I have tried in the two rifles I have loaded them for -- a .270 Win and a .300 Win. Mag.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
So far I've gotten excellent accuracy with TSXs in three cartridges: .257 AI (100 grain), .270 WSM (140 grain), and .338 Win (225 grain). On-game performance has been excellent in the .338 and .270 (I've yet to shoot anything with the .257). The TSXs are rapidly becoming my favorite hunting bullet.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the 7mm 140gr TSX in my 7mm-08 with great accuracy and velocity. My 243 really loves the 85gr TSX with a PILE of h-414.
These bullets rock!

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could get any of my guns to shoot the standard X bullets worth a hoot. However, once I tried the 225 gr. in my .338WM and the 180 gr. in the 30-06 I'm all in. They have shot the best groups ever, in those two guns. I'm now in the process of working up a load for the 6.5X55.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm referring to the TSX's in the previous thread. Sorry.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Worked up two loads, one for the 7mag (moa for five shots), one for my boy's 270, 1.3 moa for 4 shots.

Problem is, I only tried one powder, and one seating depth for each. Good accuracy throughout the velocities. This is really cutting my "trigger therapy" time.... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Have yall noticed them running a bit slower than a standard pill, I guess the grooves do reduce pressure some as advertised. In my 25 cal wildcat based on the 284 case the 100grn TSX runs about 150-200fps slower than a Nosler 100BT over the same charge of RL-19. Plan to bump it up a bit this weekend...so far accuracy has been fine.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with the 100 gr TSX, in my .25-06 Rem,
and the 165 gr TSX, in the 300 WSM. I have yet to
chrony the loads, but they sure make pretty groups
on paper. I am using XLC data, so that is already
scaled up some powder wise over the X bullet. I do
hope that they don't stop making the X bullet, since
my 130 gr. X bullet load, for my Savage Striker, in
.308 Win, is easily a 1 MOA combination. Now if they
came out with a 130 gr TSX, in .30 cal, I would not
miss the X bullet By my load work, the TSX
settles down much more easily over the X and the XLC
Barnes bullets, but the on game performance kept me
working on those X and XLC loads. I expect the
same devestating performance from the TSX, and I
sure do like the one ragged hole, I can get shooting
them.

Squeeze

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have shot them quite a bit in .270, .270 WSM, .300WSM and .308, very accurate in all four rigs. I did work up to a little stronger load except in 300 WSM, velocities were comprable to the coated 'regular X' bullet in same weight, as well as Nosler/CT pill. In other calibers they ran a little slower. I already had seating depths figured out on these rigs, but as in some other loads I have tried, they triple X actually worked better with deeper seated bullets in the WSM's. Shot one 110 lb. doe at about 90 yards, good exit wound through the ribs, deer dropped where it stood. All in all am pleased with them, but don't let anyone fool you, they leave they're fair share of copper in the bore.
Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanke Guys
I was wondering if I was imagining things from what I read.
My cuatom Mauser 7MM Wby shot 150 BX like a shotgun, even
sent lighter loads thru the paper sideways. The same load
put 150 Nosler BTs thru one hole. Thanks again maybe
I'll try some TSXs.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shot great in my .308 and then when a fellow shot a deer with it, the bullet drilled it and failed to open..I witnessed this and saw the bullet strike at 40 yards with my binoculars..no blood except at the hit location and very little there, spent 5 hours crawling around on hands and knees..so I won't be using them anymore, I am an unforgiving soul where bullet are concerned...

I do have a 100 each of 375 and 416s loaded up and ready to go, and I suspect they will work on buffalo as there is a lot of resistence and BarnesXs have always worked on Buffalo for me and clients, but I have seen a lot of Barnes X failures on lighter game...I know others who I respect that have had nothing but success with them, but not me!

I have had great success with GS Customs with nary a failure, so I guess thats the route for me. We'll see how the bigger Barnes Triple Xs work on buff with my 375 and 416 if I go to Africa this next year.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Moly coating the TXS bullets? It should cut down on fouling a bit.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Loren, I have not noticed any fouling to any degree worth the effort of moly coating.

I've read Ray's account of his lost deer before, and it concerns me. However, my wife punched an Antelope doe last week, through the top of the heart, with a 140 XLC, with similar results: there was no blood, I could not even find the exit hole until we skinned it. The innards, however, were "soup", and the doe went 75 yards and fell over. My wife's explanation was as simple as it was logical: if you stop the pump, the blood stops, too....

I am concerned that you can punch two holes, and still not get a blood trail. That's not why I buy these bullets.... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
If you stop the pump blood has to go somewhere, either inside or out and as you see that did not happen, now a heart/lung shot deer can and does on ocassion run in excess of 100 yards and if that deer got into the Cienosa or simular thick stuff then you would not have found it in all probability, I think that is what happen with the deer I am refering too....This is my concern...I want two holes, a clean entrance and a big exit hole that bleeds profusely...I care not for instant kills that don't bleed.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I want a garden hose of blood coming out until the animal drops.

In all fairness, when I shot my moose with my Whelen, the 250 Speer punched all the way through, too, and we found exactly ONE drop of blood, and ONE dead moose after a 150 yard run. That was a high lung shot, and all the blood did was fill up the lungs: none came out through either hole.

All that is a long way of saying that maybe we can't always get what we want..... Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as a TSX fan, both in the 270 Win and 338 MAg.

I have pictures of recovered 338 cal 225 gr I'll send you if you will e-mail me an address.

Tblauwkamp@superior-sales.com

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Read the responses concerning reports of this bullet failing to open up and just couldn't resist the opportunity to add my personal experience. I shot my atelope at 200 yards with a 100 grain TSX from a 25-06. Muzzel velocity is about 3250fps. Hit him just behind the shoulder. ENTRANCE hole was almost the size of a quarter. Exit hole just behind the off-side shouler was a bit larger than quarter diameter. There was absolutely no indication that he was hit immediately after the shot. I knew I hit him however because I heard the "thwack". He ran about 15 yards and collapsed. I'd say about 2 liters of blood had emptied from his mouth onto the ground by the time I got to him about 5 minutes later. Blood trail was impressive. Intrathoracic contents were pulverized. Needless to say, the bullet performed very well under these circumstances. Previous posts on this thread make me wonder if minor design differences between caliber and bullet weights influence how this bullet performs. Just my 0.02 worth. BB.

Posts: 9 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
PPosey,

There is a big difference between seating a TSX and an SST to the same OAL, I have to crank my comp bullet seating die way down for the SST to acheive the same OAL as the TSX.

Plenty of freebore and short magazine will keep you well off the lands in your Mnt rifle (same action/barrel setup as my 700 Ti). I have found the best accuracy in my gun with a OAL of 2.775 with several different bullets.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is all very interesting.

This year I killed a large cow Elk with the 30cal 180XLC's @ an impact velocity of approximatley 2630fps. At the shot the cow stammered then stood still butt to me while the other Elk bolted. After less than a minute she fell where she stood, then moments later stood again broadside at which time I broke both shoulders and she dropped for good. I regret that I was in a big hurry to dress/skin and deliver to the processor, or I would have better determined where that 1st shot went. I think it might have been high through the back of the lungs since I remember a little bruising of the hide when skinning, but certainly no busted ribs, busted guts and/or big holes for the first shot. The second shot through the shoulder bones was a different story and performed as I would have expected with significant wounds.

However, the interesting part to this story is my conversation with Barnes. They told me that as a rule of thumb, the mono bullets they make for reloading will not shed petals @ 2600fps or less suggesting that the first bullet could have shed petals and passed between ribs and out the other side w/.308 holes. They also told me that some of the premium ammo manufacturers specify tougher bullets and Barnes specifically designs those bullets to not shed petals unless @ much higher velocities. Thought this might explain some of the small hole (normally results in little blood) experiences.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My one and only experience with the TSX on game was a whitetail deer that dropped dead in its tracks last year. Based on that one occurance, I'm inclined to use them again, which I will be doing beginning this Saturday until the middle of January. By the way, that was a 168gr. TSX in my .300 Wby I was using last year. This year I'll be using that one again, plus the 140 gr. in my 7mm Rem mag. I'll report my results again, good or bad.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Just read my signature.

The TSX is THE most consistant/accurate hunting bullet I've ever used. It actually shuts out the Ballistic tip and SST.

I've posted a bunch of times my experiences with pictures etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
What's your load for the 243? I'm interested in trying teh 85 grain TSX for whitetail. I think another friend said he uses around 46 (?) grains of H414. How far are you seating the bullest off of the rifling?
I've been using the Stony point device to measure that distance and setting my seating die. I've found that each of the TSX's seem to have a different orgive, and thus the overall length changes. Have you or any of the others found this?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My buddy shot a mule deer under 100 yds this season. He used a 240 WBY with he 85 gr TSX at over 3300 fps IMPACT velocity. Deer was shot through the lungs. He finally found it and the bullet had penciled through. The wound channel looked as if it were done by a knit needle stab! Sad...... I had high hopes for the TSX'x. Same deal as te stories as I have heard on the XLC's....

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps with the TSX you better use the old addage. " Hit bone on the way in" That may open them up and help them to perform well. They do shoot well.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throughout this thread one thing keeps has to come to mind. X-type bullets are probably overkill for certain game. I have had great results with conventional bullets for thin-skinned Deer and smaller big game. I believe the X-types are warranted with animals with tougher hides/bones such as Elk on up.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have 17 one-shot kills with BX on whitetails and now one with the TSX: alarge Minnesota buck that never left it's feet when hit in the neck with a 140 gr TX from my 7/08. The accuracy impressed me when working up loads and didn't fail me when the buck only showed neck. I used Varget and about 1.5 grains more than for X loads. The VLX data called for 3 grains more and that was too hot. 41.5 grains of Varget gets very close to 3000 fps in my Kimber M84 and one hole accuracy. Copper fauling definitely less than BX.
As for not being necessary for whitetails...may not be, but I respect the animal too much not to use the very best. My partner shot a slightly smaller buck from his 280 with Core Locks (150gr?) The shot was high in the lungs just under the spine. The bullet blew up within 6 inches of entry, did NOT disrupt the spine, and left no exist wound. The buck went well over 100 yrds and died of internal bleeding from a ruptured aorta. Tracking was tough. That buck was killed too.... but deserved better.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two kills so far with the 30 cal 168gr TSX out of a 300Win mag.

A 4 point Muley broadside at 225 yards was hit right through both lungs. Entrance hole was about the size of a quarter and the exit hole was a little larger. The buck stayed on his feet stumbling around for a few seconds, with blood spraying out the exit hole, the then fell down, rolled on his back and stuck all four legs straight up in the air and he was done. It was quite a sight.

The second one was a big muley doe shot almost broadside (slightly quartering away) at 280 yards. Again the entrance hole was large; the exit was about 2" diameter. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side shoulder.

Both of these kills make me believe that the bullet opened completely immediately upon impact. Couldn't ask for better performance. I'll use the same load for elk and if I ever get an antelope tag I wouldn't hesitate to use it for antelope.

BTW - they shoot very accurate also.

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 308 using 168 gr TSX's has killed several animals, all with 1 shot kills. Drop in their tracks: cow bison through front shoulders, axis deer through lungs. Stager around for a few seconds then fall dead: Sika deer, javalina, scimitar oryx, mouflon ram. Run 50 yards & drop: axis deer through front shoulders.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They're fantastic. Over the summer I bought some for my 270 win (130 gr)and 300 win 9180 GR)and they routinely shoot one holers that'll fit inside a dime for both rifles. Outside diameters are in the .5s for the 300 and in the .4s for the 270.

Performance.........perfect.

I recovered one from an elk shot at 268yards, just beneath the opposite hide, perfect "X" 100% weight retention. I shot a 218lb whitetail at 70 yards, head on heart/chest shot and recovered the bullet in the rear hindquarter. This one not so perfect though: once again a beautiful "X", but it weighed 129 gr.

I've ordered them by the boxes for my other rifles. I'm going to have to get rid of all those Accubonds and SSTs I was going to try............

Posts: 24 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote