New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 to 270
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was reading in the new hornday book that it is a very simple reforming process to resize 3006 to 270. Just FL resize a 3006 case in a 270 win die. I have a 270, not a 3006, but has many of my dad's once shot 3006 brass. Is this feasible or not? Should I just buy 270 brass? Looking at the reloading manual it looks like the 270 win is a longer case in almost every aspect. max case length, case trim length, and length from end? to shoulder. Just curious. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 is a nominal .046" longer than the 06 but the headspace is the same. So you'll simply have short cases. This has been done millions of times over the years. '06 brass has always been easy to come by, for free, whereas 270 you'd probably have to buy, even the once fired stuff.

Now, having said that it's OK to do (I've done it myself in poorer times) look in a Midway catalog and see how cheap you can buy a bag of new shiney 270 brass. Do you think it's still worth it?

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 270 and 06 have the same headspace dimension and brass can be formed by no more than running a 30-06 case thru your FL 270 die, I've made literally thousands. When you are done sizing check the case length and you will find your brass is still .025-.030 short of 270 trim length. The once fired 06 brass you have is the perfect canidate for new to you 270 brass, and at a good price too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those replies. I went ahead and FL resized a 3006 case and it is .035 shorter than the suggested trim length of the 270. Should this be fireformed first with a light load, or is that not necessary? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
The 270 is a nominal .046" longer than the 06 but the headspace is the same. So you'll simply have short cases. This has been done millions of times over the years. '06 brass has always been easy to come by, for free, whereas 270 you'd probably have to buy, even the once fired stuff.

Now, having said that it's OK to do (I've done it myself in poorer times) look in a Midway catalog and see how cheap you can buy a bag of new shiney 270 brass. Do you think it's still worth it?

Ray

I guess it's probably not worth it. It's just that I've got so much 3006 brass, it seems like a waste when I could put it to some use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to do anything except load it and shoot it, it will reach trim length on about the second firing. If you don't want to use it you can send all your dad's OFired brass to me Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it's probably not worth it.

I'd full length size the new brass anyway before loading so why not?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ckemp:
Thanks for those replies. I went ahead and FL resized a 3006 case and it is .035 shorter than the suggested trim length of the 270.
Repeated firing could cause a Powder Residue build-up directly ahead of the Case Mouth. But 0.035" is not much distance if you look at it on a Caliper.

quote:
Should this be fireformed first with a light load, or is that not necessary? ...
If you set your Full Length Die to P-FLR so the Bolt closes with just a bit of resistance, then whatever Load you choose to use will Fire Form the Case to your specific Chamber - and have ZERO Headspace. That means long Case Life and no chance of Insipient Case Head Separation.

Only problem would be if someone picked up one of your Cartridges and thought it was a 30-06. Accuracy would not be real good. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replies. I went ahead and resized 30 more. They look good. P-FLR? Does that mead partial resize? Like when you turn the die down until it touches the case holder, but don't turn it a 1/4 turn more? Thanks.

<Andrew cempa>
posted
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:

Ray

I guess it's probably not worth it. It's just that I've got so much 3006 brass, it seems like a waste when I could put it to some use.

What kind of /06 brass? If it is US mil LC stuff,once fired only, I'd consider buying it if in significant volume-at least 1000 pcs. If US commercial, well, still might be interested...

PM me if you wish. MO, USA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People are just a bit "history short." The cartridge was developed to permit the rebarreling of Springfields (03's) which could be had from the government for under $20.- with a walnut stock to a caliber that kicks a bit less. And Winchester also decided to go "hotrod" and work at 55K CUP in 1926. (10K CUP over the standard for the '06.) And Uncle Sam left fired brass laying around for pick up by anyone free. Had an uncle picked up 50. He was a deer hunter and knew a reloader and was set for life... Not to mention surplus ammo, military .30/'06 for $0.01 each with the rifle... So yes, many, many, many '06 cases have become .270s with one trip into a full length die. And if you listen carefully you will also hear of the gunsmith [I know one] who grabbed a box of '06 reloaded brass to test an '06 and got rotten performance... Finally he realized that a .27 bullet rambling down a .30 bore just loses a LOT! (ha, ha. Boy he gets red when telling that story. Ask his son where the bullet hit and the kid said, "about half way..." He almost hit the kid...) enjoy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... P-FLR? Does that mead partial resize? ...
Yes, that means to Partial-Full Length Resize a Case.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
The only thing I have ever read that was negative about doing so is that it will accumulate throat ersoion a lot quicker using 06 brass vs 270 brass, just because of the shorter length of the 06 brass..

this was out of one of Parker Ackley's writings..so he must know what he is talking about..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote