New
Find
Notify
Tools

meplat and the ogive
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
please explain to me just what/were these are. thank you.

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A useful site when you want to know things like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meplat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogive

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In simple terms (cause I'm a simple guy)
Shank is the full diameter section of the bullet
Meplat is the flat on the tip
Ogive is the curved section between the shank and the meplat.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks so much guys! one more for ya. lands end? im thinking its were the chamber meets the rifleing? or were your caseing lip might bottom out if its to long?

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shank is the full diameter section of the bullet
Meplat is the flat on the tip

Well stated, in few words!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some real accuracy nuts use the Sinclair tool to trim the meplats on their bullets to better make them consistent. I have done this, but first I find a bunch of bullets that are the same in length from base-to-ogive with the Sinclair "hexnut" comparator, then I trim them. Some people sort by weight, others by base-to-ogive measurement. I've done it both ways. I trim the meplats on Sierra MatchKings because the tip is a bit of a crunched cone (like on a blank round), but do not trim Hornady A-max bullets because they have that nice, pointy plastic tip...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fishguts:
thanks so much guys! one more for ya. lands end? im thinking its were the chamber meets the rifleing? or were your caseing lip might bottom out if its to long?
On a rifle you have the chamber, throat/free bore, Leade-this is the start of the lands, they are cut on an angle to accept the bullet. The throat diameter is just a few .001" larger than the groove/bullet diameter.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote