New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: pressure signs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hot Core is the one who claimed the PRE system was calibrated. Ken Waters certainly did not. I certainly did not. If Hot Core really had a calibrated system, he could tell us how many PSI his loads produce. He cannot. He does not have a system that is calibrated in any meaningful units.

I know the formula that expresses pressure as a function of inputs that are easily gotten to three significant figures. So I know my output variable, PSI, to the same accuracy as my input variables. My strain gage system is calibrated in meaningful units. I can report PSI for my loads. I can also report pressure risetimes.

Those mythical insurmountable obstacles Hot Core imagines took me all of 15 minutes to surmount, and I do not have X-ray vision, and can't fly.

Every place Hot Core's claims are compared to reality, they fail.

Once again, Hot Core has no facts, no figures, and no physics. He has an opinion, based on an opinion he read somewhere.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,

Are you using shunt resistors to cal the strain gages instead of factory ammo? If so I would expect a more accurate cal than factory ammo would provide. Another trick I picked up is to use two seperate strain gages and compare results. I don't know if your data acquisition system has this many channels, but if it does it can help reduce error generated by set-up variations.

A question to all you guys in this discussion. Is this an attempt to dethrone the "Matchking as hunting bullets" thread?

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im currently working up a 270 load and im not sure exactly what pressure signs are could anyone shed some light here?

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, welcome aboard.

Second, if you are starting to work up loads for any firearm and you don't know what pressure signs are you better put a halt to your reloading pronto!! Go out and spend the few dollars it costs for a reloading manual from one of the big bullet manufacturers and read up on pressure signs. Learn as much as you can from them.

Also, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board from people that have cumulative experience that is mind boggling. Do a search for pressure signs.

Reloading is fun, but can be potentially dangerous or even deadly if not taken seriously. Other that what is published in the books and pressure signs there is no way of telling what kind of ice you are walking on. A chronograph can be a big help also.

Have fun, but be safe...learn about the hazards and things to watch out for.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Shoow several boxes of factory ammo and keep the brass. Use it as a reference. Pay attention to how hard the bolt opens after a shot.

Read a lot. Look at pictures of overpressure rounds. The Nosler reloading guide has a few, and I am sure others do as well.

Compare your fired reloads to the factory loads. Look at primers. Compare the resistance of bolt opening. Compare to the pictures of high pressure loads.

Read the last 3 months of this forum, most of it has been coverend in some detail. Above all else, go slow!

Have fun, and welcome to the club!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My system is to work up until the extractor groove expands .001" or more measured with a dial caliper.

Then I back off 6% on the powder charge.

Backing off 6% will cost you 200 fps, but the elk you shoot will not care if you got 3300fps or 3100 fps at the muzzle.

But if you want that load for long range target shooting, then you can use less than 6% margin, when the only thing at risk is brass life, and shooting conditions are more controlled.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Above all else. Work up slow and Buy and use a decent chronograph. Use the velocity as a speedometer for your loads. Do not exceed the velocity for that bullet for that powder in your loading manuals. Most other pressure signs are not perfect. If you get difficult bolt lift, flatened primers, shiny spot on the case head, these are all sure signs that you are over by a good margin. Unfortunately the abscence of these signs in no way assures that the pressure is not still too much. Signs= HI Pressure, No signs= hi pressure maybe or maybe not. The best tool for measuring pressure at home is the M43 by Oehler. It is a thousand bucks more or less. You don't have to have that. A regular chronograph along with the other signs and a good dose of common sense will keep you out of the emergency room. Good loading shooting and hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think D Hunter's advice is very good. The one exception that I would take is that you can get a PressureTrace system for under $200, and it does a very nice job.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PressureTrace? Never heard, sounds good! How does this work, and how difficult is it to use?
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/

Basically, you glue a strain gage, which is about 1 cm x .5 cm, and as thick as a piece of paper, to your barrel. I place mine under the forestock, out of sight, about halfway down the cartridge.

You do have to provide a means for getting the leads to the strain gage through the stock. My present theory is that the best way is to inlet a very small groove that comes out the top of the stock, just forward of the receiver, and to provide a little pocket in the stock to fold the leads away when not in use.

You will need to find the OD and ID of your chamber, at the point the strain gage is attached. From these two dimensions, and the known properties of steel, the system is pretty well calibrated in absolute PSI.

The PressureTrace unit hooks between the rifle and a laptop computer, through the serial port.

It gives you an oscilloscope trace of pressure vs. time, plus the peak pressure, plus the risetime.

I have one, and use it a lot. Besides my 30-06, I have one on a Mosin M39, which is hard to get "adult" loads for, and plan on putting one on a modern 6.5x55, same reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

PressureTrace? Never heard, sounds good! How does this work, and how difficult is it to use?- mike

Hey Mike, My advice would be to forget any of the "Home Strain Gauge Systems". If you are interested why read below.

The HSGSs of any make or model all have some inherently insurmountable problems associated with their use outside a recognized Ballistics Lab.

First is you will find it totally impossible to get "accurate" dimensions from the firearm without the use of a CMM and a long Ball Arm Locator. Your alternative is to simply "guess" at the dimensions and then all the Software's Math Model resident within the HSGS will be skewed so you have TOTALLY MISLEADING and TOTALLY UNRELIABLE info.

Second you will need to "glue" a Strain Gauge and it's associated wires onto the firearm's chamber. You can do it inside the stock where it can't be seen(except for the cute little wires) and a side benefit(?) is it will destroy your chance of having the best possible accuracy from your firearm. Or you can de-grease the chamber where you can see the Strain Gauge and glue that sucker on in plain sight. That looks REAL NICE and should OBVIOUSLY only be done on a TEST BARREL or a firearm you really don't like.

Third you can't Calibrate the HSGS. Totally impossible to obtain "Reference Ammunition" unless you have a Certified Ballistics Lab. As a "verification" for this bit of information, I'll refer you to Speer Manual #13 page 53 under "Calibration of Pressure Guns".

Forth is cost which is $200-$3000 for the units and ancillary goodies to make them work in their misleading manner. Basically, you are simply tossing your money out the window for the "Pyrite"(Fool's Gold) of the Reloading World.

On the same page in the Speer Manual is how to use Case Head Expansion(CHE). I use it along with Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE) to develop SAFE MAX Loads as hundreds of thousands of knowledgeable reloaders have done for well over 100 years. And the 0.0001" capable Micrometer needed to do CHE/PRE is less than $20 for an RCBS model from www.wideners.com or many other sources.

CHE/PRE: No damage to the Firearm or it's accuracy + Totally reliable and repeatable measurement values + Able to Calibrate = BEST PRESSURE DETECTION METHOD AVAILABLE!

HSGS: Either screws up the accuracy or the looks of the firearm + measurements(and therefore the resulting data) based on "guesses" + can't be Calibrated = Reloading Pyrite (aka Fool's Gold)

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

First is you will find it totally impossible to get "accurate" dimensions from the firearm without the use of a CMM

You claim to get four significant figure dimensions from brass with a $20 micrometer, and yet believe that the rest of us can't do as well with barrel dimensions?

Quote:

insurmountable problems associated with their use outside a recognized Ballistics Lab.

Something magic happens if you're at a ballistics lab? Special laws apply there that don't work for the rest of us? Their equipment won't work if you take down the sign in front?

Quote:

it will destroy your chance of having the best possible accuracy

Which body orfice did you pull this out of? Pure fabrication.

Quote:

Third you can't Calibrate the HSGS

Ridiculous beyond belief. Indicated strain is a function of the gage factor, which is calibrated at the factory to three significant figures, ID and OD, which are easily obtained to three signficant figures, the properties of steel, which are known to three signficant figures, and the hoop strain equation. NIST does calibration this way all the time. Apparently they haven't caught on to Hot Core's new standard of calibration.

Quote:

Forth is cost which is $200-$3000

$180, last time I checked.

Quote:

On the same page in the Speer Manual is how to use Case Head Expansion(CHE). I use it along with Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE) to develop SAFE MAX Loads as hundreds of thousands of knowledgeable reloaders have done for well over 100 years.

It may be in the manual, but it has been shown to be so non-repeatable as to be dangerous.

Quote:

Totally reliable and repeatable measurement values + Able to Calibrate

If so, you can then state EXACTLY how many PSI each of your tested loads generates. Can you do that? If so, you are the first of all those "hundreds of thousands" that can. We're waiting to congratulate you, as soon as you show the data.

The PRE and CHE are calibrated in inches. The strain gage oscilloscope is calibrated in volts. Why are inches more valid than volts?

The big difference is that PRE and CHE cannot easily be converted to useful engineering units, such as PSI, and are uncalibrated in useful units. Of course, so is the CUP system, so that alone doesn't mean they are useless.

Different cases have different geometries, and will yield differently at the same pressure. Growth patterns from one style case cannot be applied to another. If you paid any attention to Ass Clown's analysis, you'd know that.

Clark posted experiment data showing that CHE shows no growth until you are far past acceptable limits.

PRE and CHE are very non-repeatable. One of the widely accepted measures of repeatability is Interclass Correlation Coefficient. I performed an experiment in which matched pairs of cartridges were fired, and miked for both PRE and CHE. An acceptable score is .9 or higher. PRE did beat CHE, but only turned in a score of .39, which completely disqualifies both systems as being repeatable.

I've done the experiments, I've done the math, and I've published the results. Hot Core has no data, no physics, and no math. Hot Core, go do an experiment, get some data, find out how Mother Nature really works. When you have measurements, numbers, and facts to report, you'll have something worth reading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, There is one post between my two posts in this thread. When you read it, let me suggest that you imagine in the backgeound the Carny Music from Ringling Brother's & PT Barnum's the Greatest Show On Earth.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Hot Core, how many peak PSI does your favorite load generate? And, while you're at it, explain how you derived your answer. A man with a calibrated, repeatable system should be able to answer with no difficulty. We're waiting.