THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 with 139gn PRVI bullet, data anyone?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey

I cant seem to find any reloading data for this bullet. If anyone has some reloading data for this, it would be more than appreciated. The powder I have is Alliant reloader 22 and VV N550, but any data on this bullet would be fine.

/Jacob

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jacob-

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a bit of 6.5x55/139 Prvi data for you:

46 grains Re-22/Fed 210/Lapua brass = 2606 fps from a 25.75" barrel

47 grains Re-22/Fed 210/Lapua brass = 2731 fps from a 25.75" barrel

The 47 grain load was not quite max in my gun but may be in yours, so please start low -- I'd recommend starting at 44 grains and using one-half grain increments -- and work up with all necessary precautions. AS always, use this and any other data at your own risk.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIf you PM me your E-Mail address I'll send quite a bit of data on 139gr. and 140 gr. bullets in two of my 6.5x55 rifles. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the load data.

About the primer, I currently only have access to CCI200 Large rifle primers. Do you think that they can be used insteed?

What are your experience with these bullets? are they any good in your oppinion

PM send to you Bartsche

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacob,
As said, welome to the forums.

I've tried several powders and weights with these bullets (sorry - don't have the data to hand at present) and found them only effective accuracy wise out to 600 yds tops. At that range they will be beaten by anything else so I've relegated them to 100/200 yd plinking and sub-sonic testing (due to their dia.)
I've also tried to find a load for these pills here and elsewhere to no avail so if you find something, please post it!

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jacob-

These bullets are a tad on the soft side, but at the modest velocities of the Swede, they will work very well for medium game.

The primers you have will do just fine, by the way.

Good luck...

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would only use these bullets for plinking at 100-300 yards. I will not use them on game. I will see what I can find out, havnt found any data on alliant or VV powders yet.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Anyone starting loads for this wtg bullet -139/140gr- should be OK to begin with with the exceotion of maybe the monometal bullets such as the Barnes X. Work up to your rifles max as you would with any make bullet and data source.

Here is VV data for the Swede, it contains data for 139 and 140 gr bullets of various style and make.
http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin...x55SwedishMauser.jpg

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get rid of them.
I ordered up some and could not get them to shoot out of my Swede sniper.
I can get under an inch with other slugs but this one 3" to 4" at 100

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
I would get rid of them.
I ordered up some and could not get them to shoot out of my Swede sniper.
I can get under an inch with other slugs but this one 3" to 4" at 100

one thing I would keep in mind is that every rifle is different.

you may have had problems due to the rifle or operator in the reloading process.(I m not implying you suck, making general statement; so please take no offence)

One thing to try is work up your load. Find what works then mess around with seating depth.

One thing to look into would be the rate of twist. Do you know what it is? Is it a surplus rifle, is it a civilian factory rifle?
I have a surplus rifle with a new barrel on it. It has a 1-9 rate of twist. It has a tendency to like heavier bullets. If your Twist is slower it will like the lighter bullets.
So powder charge and depth.
Good luck!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A case full of WC860 and a magnum primer works great for me in a M96B. This powder is so slow it acts as its own filler. The load works significantly better with a magnum primer. Accuracy is excellent and no unburned powder was left in the bore or the case.

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDD:
A case full of WC860 and a magnum primer works great for me in a M96B. This powder is so slow it acts as its own filler. The load works significantly better with a magnum primer. Accuracy is excellent and no unburned powder was left in the bore or the case.

What size barrel do you have on it?
I don't remember if mine was a M96b, I do know it was a M96 with a 18" barrel on the end.
It grouped ok, but wasn't great. Old pitted and worn barrel best groups would be 1.23" best @ yds, now I m getting less then .5 @ 200 with my new barrel!
This rifle is like most the old cartridges, it likes the slower burning powders, explore them and try them, you would be shocked what dose and doesn't work well.
Keep me posted on your progress.

What bullets have you tried?
If cash is a factor, Hornady is a good bullet company to start experimenting with. Best bang for the buck. Ofcorse everyone has there opinions on the matter, thats just mine.
Enjoy! Shoot strate and true!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote