Tools

Re: 8x57 various initial questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Quote:

I just traded for an 8x57 rifle.
I was shopping for dies and found that RCBS makes a die to form the 8x57 from 30'06 brass. Imagine my excitement as I have 500 pieces of brass and no more '06.
I will be loading for a Mauser 98/22, where is a good place to start with powder and bullets?
I have in house IMR 4350,4064,4895 and RL 19, BLC2, W760.

I'm just going to be punching paper if it matters.
Is this a relatively easy case to load for?
Why no data on the loading page?

I make 8X57 cases from once fired "06" G.I. brass that I pick up @ the C.M.P. service rifle clinics that are held @ the local gun club.

I trim off a little less than 1/4" with a razor saw, run them through the RCBS full length sizing die then trim to length with my "Zip Trim". The "Zip Trim" requires the preliminary trim so that the length guage will enter the flash hole.

Other than occasionaaly getting a few minor wrinkles @ the shoulder, the case are near perfect. Fireforming irons out the wrinkles.

49gr. IMR 4064 gives about 2800fps with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

62gr IMR 4350 gives about 2600fps with 200gr Partitions.

These are out of the 23 3/8" military barrel of a 98K

These are loaded to "06" pressure levels so make sure the arm is in good condition and has a .323" bore.

Back off and work up.

The 8X57 is the equal to the "06" when loaded to the same pressure, perhaps a little better with the heavier bullets of 200-250grs.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Irv,
please explain to me what the difference is between an 8mmX57 made from 06 brass and one you buy already factory formed. I fail to see the danger you say exists. If it does exist than it should exist with both.????? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The difference is that one will say 30/06 on the headstamp. If someone gets it chambered in a
30/ 06 it will blow the action. A thick case neck will only make this worse. Please read my post again
and THINK.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I don't own an '06 anymore and have quite a bit of federal, remington and winchester sporting brass. I'm not planning on leaving loaded rounds just laying around the range.
If anyone feels very strongly about not using the '06 for 8x57 I'd be more than happy to trade my '06 brass for 8x57 .

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote