Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Lee Collet dies
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

today I tested my Lee Anniversary Kit.

While using the Lee Collet die on my 7x57 cases I made something wrong. The neck became so wide that my bullets are falling into the case!
Can I reverse this situation or do I have to toss the cases?
Is that an adjustment problem?

I thought while shooting the neck expended anyways and the die is bringing the size back a little bit below the bullet diameter (7mm). But this seems to be wrong?!
Instead the die seems to expand the neck even more.

I need your advise please.

Thanks

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check that the mandrel diameter is less than .284"

Check that you have not collapsed the collet fingers. Then start over with the adjustment instructions.

I don't understand why so many have problems with collet dies. All of mine worked correctly from the word "GO."

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had this same problem. Once, I was getting ready for a cast bullet match and about half my cases had oversized necks that wouldn't hold a bullet. I was dissapointed.
I think I sometimes apply too much force when sizing. The instructions say apply a min. of 25 lbs I believe. I've had the collet jam and stick shut. Then you need to take it apart and polish and lightly lube the contact surfaces.
I wish I knew for sure what causes this problem. Last batch I sized it happened on about 5 cases out of 100 even though I was being very alert to anything unusual.
I really like the collet dies but if I keep having rejects I might have to go back to partial neck sizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A collet die trick I use is to first punch the primers and then remove the decapper from the die. This allows you to squeeze the neck down past the point of elasticity. You can also greatly increase the compression force by lightly lubing the mandrel cone with Lee sizing paste.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote