New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just sized some brass that was fired in my rifle, some brass fits chambers easily while others take a significant amount of pressure to close the bolt. I read in the Nosler manual that it should take some closing pressure but I think I have some that chamber too easy to some that chamber too hard, Why? And How doI fix it? Thanks Rifle is a Savage .300 win mag

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess you need to shorten the overall distance from the base of the case to the shoulder of the case. This means you have to turn your sizing die down just slightly...start with 1/32 turn and see if they all chamber well. Another possibility is that when you withdrew the case over the neck expander you stretched the case upward causing the same effect. You are using a lube inside your case mouth??? This will stop that from happening.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been lubig the outside not getting on the shoulder, however, I have only been lubing the inside when I seat the bullet. I need to lube the insid eof the case prior to resizing? I guess I haven't thoughtof that. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
You should not have any lube inside the case neck when you seat the bullet. There should be adequate friction between the surfaces to assure consistent combustion.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
chain, basic rules of reloading; never lube the inside of the case neck prior to seating a bullet Eeker. I clean the inside after sizing w/ a degreaser & wool mop. As Ralph said, you WANT friction between the bullet & brass, the more consistent friction the better.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the problem of the hard chambering, I second what Kraky said. Sounds like you just need to turn the resizing die down a tad further and yes you'll want to lube the inside of the neck prior to resizing. It could be that the ones that don't want to chamber were pulled out a little when you pulled the expander ball back through the unlubed case neck.

As for the lube inside the case neck, it's not that big of a deal IMO. I clean them nowadays in the tumbler, but I can't tell you how many rounds that I've loaded that have gone straight from the resizing operation to the seating operation without being cleaned. Unless you're absolutely lubing the crap out of the necks, you should still have adequate neck tension.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't lubing inside the neck prior to re-sizing, I think I will start. Thanks for the info guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you should use an "oily" lube in the necks. (I just scrub inside with an old bore brush and some graphite powder) so the expander button comes out easely.

A friend uses a tiny amount of resizeing lube from a cotton bud on the inside, neither of us try to remove it for bullet seating, and his reloads in particular are very accurate.

You may find that even brass shot in your rifle is not necessarly the same size, especially if number of fireings is different, so the advise above should get the tighter ones in.
Find the tightest ones to set the FLS die Just right.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use rcbs lube on the outside of the case and use their applicator brush to get it on the inside of the mouth. I ike it because it's water soluable and cleans up ez with a damp paper shop towel.

Re removing the lube from inside the case...I do believe it's a good idea. A couple of years ago I had some "warm" reloads that I had loaded the year before. I only had a few left and wanted to shoot them up and reload the batch of brass. When I shot these they showed lot's more pressure than the year before. What I eventually found was that by not cleaning the lube out of the case necks the bullets had sort of "glued" themselves to the case while sitting for that year. From then on I take an undsized nylon bore brush and wrap a wet piece of papershop towel swab out the inside of the case mouth after resizing. On 20 hunting rounds you're looking at maybe 3-4 minutes to do it.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote