New
Find
Notify
Tools

BARREL BURNERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of all the calibers that have been named a barrel burner.
who has ever burned one up and what caliber was it with how many shots did it take?

Posts: 25 | Location: terlton,Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know a guy who burnt a MKV Weatherby, unsure of what model it was, it was in 257WBY Mag and the barrel was burnt out in 200shots. must have been shooting hot loads in a hot barrel!

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
okie

My smith and I got together and designed this "new' hot rod and thought it would be the cats meow. It was to a certain extent.

It was a 224 on top of an 8mm Mauser AI case. It was going to be for long range 600>1000 yds with 80gr bullets.

It was plenty accurate enough and lived up to the velocity expectations. But.....I had to trash the barrel @ 435 +/- rounds. It looked like a sewer pipe. Three shots on a summer day and the barrel drooped because it was so hot.

Gave that project up and went to a 22-250 AI with a 1:8 twist and still shoot 80grs MK's and only lost about 400fps velocity. It's a lot more user friendly. It doesn't eat barrels for lunch either.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote