Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions on BORE GUIDES?!?!
 Login/Join

<Canaduck>
posted
Hi guys!

Ok, I know this is bad, but I have never used or seen a bore guide. From what I understand they are used to protect your bore when inserting your cleaning rod?!?! Why? Can cleaning your gun damage the bore? Where do I get a bore guide from? I have 300 WM's and 22-250 that I would like to get bore guides for! Basically, any info. you can provide would be appreciated because I basically have no idea what the deal is with them!

THANKS

------------------

<Bill>
posted
The bore guide is very helpful.

It helps solvent from getting into your action and prevents your cleaning rod from rubbing against the throat of your rifle (protects the bbl as you said).

I like the fact that they make running a patch on the end of a jag much easier since the opening of the guide is behind your action.

They are available from a number of sources. I use two rods from Pro-shot Products, they will fit about every rifle I own. There are better ones avaiable, some made for your specific rifle and caliber, but I just don't see maintaining a 40 bore guide inventory that will change constantly with my gun collection.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 12-13-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canaduck:
Hi guys!

Ok, I know this is bad, but I have never used or seen a bore guide. From what I understand they are used to protect your bore when inserting your cleaning rod?!?! Why? Can cleaning your gun damage the bore? Where do I get a bore guide from? I have 300 WM's and 22-250 that I would like to get bore guides for! Basically, any info. you can provide would be appreciated because I basically have no idea what the deal is with them!

THANKS As the other post states the bore guides not only make your bore rod stay straight and aligned but the good ones take a solvent port that extends past the action to the rear and you can start your rod and brush/jag/patch and thru the solvent port drip some bore cleaner on the tool and keep the solvent from the action bedding and trigger.....Stoney Point makes a decent guide that has a wedge shaped head that seal the chamber? Sinclair and Midway among others carries caliber specific and action specific derlin/nylon tubes that have "O" rings installed to fit into the chamber and then the larger body fits the internal size of the action...a solvent port can be added or left off if disired....in this type of bore guide the insert for the chamber would be different for your 22/250 and 300 but the main body of the guide would fit those calibers in a Rem. Win. Mauser,Ruger bolt and similar standard actions but a 223 in a Sako would need a different one that works in a Kimber/Cooper and small actions....they are worth the money and don't wear out and you can replace the "O" ring for 75cents and they last many cleanings......good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
Before I had a bore guide I used to drill a hole in the end of an old case just a little bigger than bore diameter. It would protect the throat, but not the sear etc.

I now have a bore guide, it's worth it, but not necessary.

I think Midway has them, my local gun shop has them too.

I think with a good quality cleaning rod it's not too important. Some cleaning rods are made of aluminum or have a plastic coating that can pick up grit - you don't want the grit scratching your bore.

<Doc Garnett>
posted
I like Midway's bore guides, which are caliber specific and seem to work in all bolt guns. Some brands, for example, don't work well in bolt actions with fixed blade ejectors.
Bore guides help to protect the bore by helping to keep the rod from bowing and scraping/damaging the rifling and by helping to keep the rod/jag/brush/patch centered in the bore for an even cleaning. They also help to protect the trigger mechanism and the bedding by keeping solvents and oil from dripping down into the action and the bedding. I think using a bore guide helps to speed up the process, too - just makes it easier. Is it "necessary" to use a bore guide? Well, it just depends on much you want to take care of your rifle. You probably won't ruin your rifle by not using one but you might.
-- Doc Garnett

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I personally wouldn't clean a rifle while it is still in the stock; swabbing out the bbl isn't cleaning the rifle. Dampness certainly has no quams about getting into the places that solvent may drip into and these areas are as critical as any part of the bore.

<sure-shot>
posted
I use the Dewey bore guides along with the Dewey coated rods. Bore Tech also makes some excellent cleaning equipment. A quick tip: Always clean your rifle with the muzzle angled downward in a cleaning cradle. I use one made by MTM(red color), in a pinch you can use a sturdy cardboard box with a V notch cut on each end. This will help prevent solvent from running into your action. Another tip: I place or tape a empty plastic sport drink bottle on the end of the muzzle while bore cleaning to catch all my patches, when done just discard in the trash can. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canada. You can get bore guides from Wholesale sports in Saskatoon or Calgary. You can mail order from them as well. Try
www.wholesalesports.com

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make my own...Drill out a primer pocket to fit a section of Eastman arrow shaft, glass it in... cut a slot for oil in that with a drill press or drimal tool. I never take a gun out of the stock to clean it, for one thing it can surly ruin the zero of the rifle as you cannot match the tension of the screws.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make my own...Drill out a primer pocket to fit a section of Eastman arrow shaft, glass it in... cut a slot for oil in that with a drill press or drimal tool. I never take a gun out of the stock to clean it, for one thing it can surly ruin the zero of the rifle as you cannot match the tension of the screws.

Sometimes I use the guides but I have a tendency to just clean it and let it go at that..When the barrel wears out I'll put another on it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote