Find
Notify
Tools

Loaning a press and dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of kk
posted
Given the cost of reloading gear, it seems to make sense that a person could loan the use of his set-up, or that a club could buy the basics and each member could buy dies, shell holders, etc.

Obviously, the ultra-fine adjustments and safety issues argue exactly the opposite. I know I am willing to help friends with loads, but I have no desire to unbolt, carton up and loan out my press, charger, trimmer or scales.

What is reality out there? Do people share or partner?

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

I don't loan stuff. In particular books as I never get them back. I give a lot of stuff away to friends however. Sometimes I get it back. sometimes I get it back if I ask for it and sometimes I get other stuff that I want or interests me.

I must have a dozen extra sails for the boat in the attic now.

Our club bought a Ransom rest and a few fixtures to fit common frames. There is constant arguments over it. Who has it? Where are the fixtures. Who damaged it? Every club meeting has twenty minutes taken up over Ransom Rest arguments.

No thanks.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I don't loan and I don't borrow...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad and I are the only people who use my reloading set up. It is in my bedroom, its not a big elaborate set up, but it works. He helped me get it all set up. I actually do most of the reloading for both of us. I also load some stuff for a couple of friends. A caliber that I don't have dies for, I ask them to purchase some dies, and I will reload using their dies. When done I give the dies, and their shells to them.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
that way is paved with danger... but...

If you had a club reasonsible people, and SCHEDULED days, and the club PRESIDENT "owned" the gear, it could work out. That way the guys could share the cost of a better press, buy powder and bullets in bulk(???) and each guy buys his own dies, primers, calipers, and scale.

other than the fact that I want a big progressive, though, I just suffered through a simple single stage rcbs until I could afford better... I do NOT play well with cretins, and it sometimes turns out that way.

jeffe

Posts: 38632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd say in most instances, if a prospective reloader isn't serious enough to invest his own money to obtain the equipment, he likely isn't serious enough to be tasked with safely re-loading.

I would never loan something that I'd have any heardache about not seeing again, unless it was a good friend. I have loaned out die sets to good friends in the past, but only if they are sets I'm not currently using.

If it is a youngster starting out, I can see an exception to the rule. If I was in a position to be tutoring a youngster, I'd simply buy him/her a few manuals and a Lee anniversary set.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have about 3 backup presses and wouldn't sweat about loaning something if the vibes were right, but what I would do is go visit and spend an evening helping them learn reloading. Then if I felt comfortable I would have no problem asking them if they wanted to borrow the setup for a couple of weeks or so, then make sure we agree on a date I'll pick it back up. That will give them enough time to decide if they want to get more involved in it, but also ensure I get my stuff back in good order.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaned out dies and borrowed dies from a particular loading friend that I taught to reload years ago. Naturally we do things the same way and it's never been a problem. But other than situations where you KNOW what you're getting into...I wouldn't loan anything to anyone.

On the other hand, I have had SEVERAL people over to teach them about loading and I have helped them get their OWN equipment.

I've never seen any club have community ownership of anything that this didn't turn to shit. That's just a road you don't want to go down.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Great responses, and thanks.

Behind my question, I'm wondering how to encourage people to try reloading. The "why" part is easy. However, an initial investment of several hundred or a thousand dollars is a lot to find out if you like something.

My first hunting was with a borrowed gun. Looking back, somebody sure must have liked me, 'cause I was not really trustworthy.

That borrowed gun ended up costing me thousands in purchases over the years, because I got hooked.

Now, over 50, I'm just getting started in reloading, but it's hard to recommend it to some of my hunting buddies that still have kids at home and a tight budget.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I dont loan OUT. If someone wishes they may come to my house and use my press and dies. They bring their own powder, primers and bullets. Cant use mine. Stick a case in my die and now its their die and they buy me a new one.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
I have a Pacific Lock-n-Load press that is set up for about 14 cartiges. My dies stay the way I have them set. Never loan them but do let other people use them if they are over. Somtimes just for the company while i do other things.
There are so meny other things needed to reload Why worry about the price of a die it could last you forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a small hunting and fishing store back in the 80's and I was having a hard time selling my
reloading stock and I decided to try a reloading
demo bench out next to the reloading supplies.
All of a sudden customers were getting interested
so I started helping them with the basics like
setting up their dies, letting them reload with
their own dies and soon I had lots of veteran
reloaders coming in and helping until it became
like a club. I never charged a fee but my supplies
of powder,primers,bullets and reloading related
merchandise began to sell like crazy. At one point I had to set up benches in the back room.
I was doing pretty well even with the low profit
in those days but I was enjoying the fellowship
and I still miss that today. My landlord came in
one day and informed me that what I was doing was
too dangerous and his insurance would be cancelled
if I didn't put a stop to it. Well in two years I
never had a mishap but I lost a good business. Someday I would like to open another store but next time with a shooting range and reloading booths. Most of the reloaders that I have come
across, have been honest and reliable people. I
would and did loan them what they needed but only
after getting to know them. A lot of retired folks
are some of the most knowledgeable reloaders of all. I would encourage anyone that is interested
in reloading to get with an experienced reloader
first and see if they like it. The more people we
have in our craft, the longer it will live! BLR7 [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote