New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM primer shortage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to a gun show, nobody had rifle primers. Went to Cabella's. They had broken the last box of 1000 and were selling the individual 100's. So, I bought some CCI #200 large rifle primers.

---- Can I use these in .270 WSM? I was using Winchester magnum primers, WLRM over a mid-range load of H4350.

I can use them in other rifles, but as of now these are all I have on hand.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They will work OK, but you will likely have a little lower power load, I've tried them once or twice during load development, and had no issues with ignition consistency, but I only use LRM primers now.

Good luck to you--this primer shortage is a real PITA

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
Have at 'er Walter! I use WLR primers in my .270 WSM and they work quite well. I've heard others say that they don't use Magnum primers unless the charge of powder is 70 gr or more.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Whenever you change primers even going to a different lot number of the same primer tweeking will most likely be required. If you change brands then it is even a bigger change and you will need to develop that load accordingly.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I use Federal 215 Mag primers with my 270WSM but try to find Federal primers now! I have a supply of some 215 and 210's but seen some Winchester WLR primers that just come in and took the whole case of 5000...so I should be good for my two 270WSM's, 243, 300WM, 22-250 and 338-06AI and may just have to adjust my powder charges for my 300WM/270WSM if it comes down to using the WLR primers.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will reload a few and start shooting.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote