THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How may times- Reload 460 weatherby brass?
 Login/Join

posted
Title says it all. I have 40 pieces of 460wby brass that I have already reloaded and shot several times (6 to 8) times. How long before I need to toss it and get new brass???

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Until the primers are too loose or the necks begin to split. You can forestall the later with annealing and for cases that expensive, it might worth the time and effort.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't live over the edge but from my 300 Weatherby I expect Weatherby perfomance; so I'm loading right up there with maximum suggested loads for this cartridge.

Currently I've got R-P (both nickeled & brass) Hornady & Weatherby (Norma) 300 Weatherby stamped brass.

All of the different brands usually start giving up the ghost at @ 5-6 loadings and all have been caused by over enlarged (loose) primer pockets.

Now the 460 Weatherby Magnum; being the Absolute Thumper it is - of course, depends on how many cans or cans & portions of powder you fill them with.

Big Grin

If you've still got your retina's intact and no serious muscle or bone trauma to your upper body then you'll probably get a few extra loadings out of the brass.

Seriously; as long as you're feeling some resistance when seating primers & there's no other irregularities with the brass and you're trimming - IMO keep on trucking.

I had one batch (100 pcs) of Norma (who supposedly manufacture WEATHERBY stamped brass) in .30/06 Sprg. that I loaded 14 times and they showed absolutely no signs of quitting. I dumped them because I just couldn't believe that they were still reliable.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all i ever got was one - that's about all i wanted to shoot it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience in loading a 460 Weatherby, but I'll also be checking for incipient head separation.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chefrific:
Title says it all. I have 40 pieces of 460wby brass that I have already reloaded and shot several times (6 to 8) times. How long before I need to toss it and get new brass???

Do you neck re size or FL Re size ?

If neck only, you should be able to get a few more.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no personal experience in loading a 460 Weatherby, but I'll also be checking for incipient head separation

You know brass is a funny animal it can last an last or pop apart , follow the above advice and keep it within specs.Personally I'd anneal the neck an shoulder area after Max 6 reloads if you're rowing full bore !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I full length resize all my cases (.375 H&H, .458 WM, .458 Lott, and .500 NE) and reload my cases only four (4) times and then they go in the trash. As brass is shot, it enlongates in the chamber and must be trimmed to proper length with each reload. Thus, the side walls of the brass thins with each firing. Case head separation or case splitting can casue nasty results during firinig. My guns are expensive (so are doctor bills) and brass is cheap (comparatively). I would discard your brass and buy new.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing how you are one of the very few people in the world who own one, why don't you keep shooting and let the rest of them know. Someone has to do it. Good luck.

Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How may times- Reload 460 weatherby brass?

Twice. ?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some dies and brass for sale in the classifieds for the 460. some new and some once fired---that was enough for me and the gun was sold.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my reloading manuals, they say toss the brass after the fifth trimming.
If you were trimming off .005" plus on each trimming that brass has to come from somewhere.
Do you see the bright ring above the belt which shows where the brass has stretched thinner.
Cut one case down the middle length wise and look inside at the web to see how much its thinned out.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I've been neck sizing my 460 Weatherby brass. I've found that at the fourth reloading, chambering a round starts to get a little bit tight.

My loads push a 500 grainer out at 2410 fps when a factory load goes out at about 2550 (24" barrel) so my loads are a bit under max, I think.

I keep my brass separated/sorted by firings and have a decent supply of once and twice fired stuff but I'll be looking for some full length dies soon. Good comment on the neck annealing. I may try it.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote