Notify
Tools

Re: 8x57 Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Quote:

Val, I looked at the Mojo sights and might use them on one of the milsurps, unfortunately this one has a barrel with a full length rib and standing leaf sight, not even close to the same size as the military 98's.

Take a look and top that off with a nice 3/4's sling. They are gorgeous.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=3&productid=58&categoryid=62

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am planning to get a Reminton 700 Classic also. I'm very excited to begin loading 8x57mm for this rifle. I plan on using the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip as a hunting bullet. I did a little research, and got some load data from Hodgdon for this bullet using Benchmark powder. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some FMJ (inexpensive) 180 grain bullets that I could buy to get sighted in and to use primarily for shooting off the bench. Best case senario would include a boattail and similar shape and BC to the Nosler BT.
Thank you in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
200 gr Sierra Match Kings

IMR4895, WLR primers,

29" barrel on $50 1903 Turkish Mauser, 40X scope

47 gr 1" 5 shot group 100 meters, 2630 fps chrono [Quickload 2660 fps 49 kspi]

50 gr slightly sticky bolt [Quickload 2800 fps 59 kpsi]

52 gr very stickey bolt [Quickload 2900 fps 67 kpsi]

The 8mm is easy to love.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pecos, Jeff
you both of the right idea... when that 200 goes FASTER point of impact will go DOWN (dwell time, for lack of a better phrase) under recoil.

Jeff, 1" high at 50 should be just perfect, btw... roughly, center fires cross line of sight at 25 and 100... it's not yet falling at 50 (no, it doesn't RISE, but it's arched UP in relation to sights...)

at 2400, i might notice it going off!!

lmao
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Browningguy -

I do NOT recommend these loads as safe in anyone's gun but my own....BUT

My Steyr pre-SBS "Professional" in 8x57 m/m shoots 5-shot groups at 100 yards as small as the occasional 1/2" clump using 49.0 grs. H-380 and the 200 gr. Nosler Partition. Average is about 3/4" with very seldom a group opening up to over an inch. I have used several grains more H-380 and the same bullet in this rifle with no adverse signs, but surely would not suggest anyone else do so without very carefully working their way up from about 45.0 grains and stopping immediately wherever normal pressure signs indicate.

Tomorrow at the range I'll be trying the 225 gr. Barnes-X bullet over 46.5, 47.5, and 48.5 grs. of H-380 in the same rifle.

Incidentally, the brass will be new, unfired, factory-primed Winchester which is about 80 years old!! (Old enough it comes in the old 25-round boxes and has convex-top primers.) Hope the primers aren't corrosive, but will clean the barrel after firing with boiling water, just in case.

Will report back here on the firing results.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
So far the results with the 180 gr. Barnes-X out of my 8x57 have been exceeding poor.

Yesterday I tried 46.5, 47.5, and 48.5 grains of H-380 in Winchester SuperSpeed cases, with Winchester factory primers.Nothing shot into less than about 2-1/4 inches, and some groups were almost 4 inches. (All were 5-shot groups at 100 yards from a Steyr Professional rifle which will put 200-grain Nosler Partitions in groups ranging from as low as half an inch to as big as 1-1/8 inch...with most about 3/4" or slightly smaller.)

I was worried the approx 80-year-old primers used might cause some problems, but with the highest charge of H-380 used, 48.5 grains, the extreme spread was only 4 fps, from 2,347 to 2,351 fps. Clearly something else is amiss.

I will try the same bullets and brass again next weelend, with modern primers and 49.5, 50.5, and 51 grs. of H-380. (The load which shoots so well with the Noslers is 49.0 H-380.

Then, I'll report back again.

(BTW, copper fouling was not a problem with these loads and the Barnes-X. The barrel came out clean as a whistle when using normal cleaning techiques which I would employ after shooting any bullet.

Best wishes,

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote