New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Arms data 79
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know anything about this powder? It's cheap enough at Natchez Shooter's supply, and by the list of cartridges it can load for seems like it might be useful. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else though.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
No that ones new to me .
But with a shiping weight of 9.46 lbs. is this a 8 lb jug ? Weight is not listed .

I have a freind that drive thru that area weekly ,may have him pick me up a jug or two.
But I am still using up the Data 2200 I have .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some snooping and found a statement on another site that sells powder. Their information is that it is "slightly faster" than AA2230, so to "multiply any published load data for 2230 by .95".
If it comes anywhere close to the way the old Data 2200 performs, it should be a dandy powder. I have used Data 2200 to shoot one-hole groups out of an NEF K-Hornet, using 10 grains, a standard primer, and 55-grain Winchester soft points. Figure that out: with a 1-16 twist?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doubless:
I did some snooping and found a statement on another site that sells powder. Their information is that it is "slightly faster" than AA2230, so to "multiply any published load data for 2230 by .95".
If it comes anywhere close to the way the old Data 2200 performs, it should be a dandy powder. QUOTE]

thumbNo powder shines brighter than 2200.I've only got 10# left and am lementing bawlingits passing.I've got 16 # of AA 79 on order and will give it some serious testing. The 2230-C is looking rather good. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe two powders are being discussed:
AA73 is listed as "slightly faster than AA2230". Which puts it at around AA2200 burn rate.
AA 79 is apparently a much slower powder, listed for the 30-06, 22-250, and WSSM applications..not much info out yet.

Also: your NEF K-Hornet MAY not have a 1:16 twist. Some NEF's have a faster twist (getting info out of H&R is tough). I used the "tight patch/cleaning rod" technique to measure mine. It measures as a 1:12 twist!! Measure yours and let us know....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please don't buy from Natchez. I live in the northeast corner of Alabama, just 45 miles from their warehouse in Chattanooga Tennessee, but I can't buy anythig from them because they will not sell to individuals in Tennesse, Alabama or Georgia, because they sell to dealers in those states.

Natchez policy keeps me, and other mail order/internet shoppers who live in these states from enjoying the same discounts anyone outside of them can.

I have written to Natchez about this and was basically told they weren't changing their policy. The only resort I have is to post on threads like this and buy from their competition every chance I get, and I don't buy anything from area dealers I can get through online sales.

Powder Valley is closer to you, shipping would be less and they carry Data 79 as well.

I would be grateful if you were to write an email to Natchez and explain your boycott of their company. It could aid many of us in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.

Thanks, John Haxton,
Mentone, Alabama

Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, sure, because I know you are boycotting every company that restricts otherwise legal shipments to CA. and of course you are boycotting ALL gun manufacturers that are not submitting their guns and money to CA for testing and certification.

right? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider, you are correct, and I am VERY embarrassed! I read Data 79, then went and found info on Data 73 and regurgitated it... THANKS for correcting me!
I am going to go see what the twist is in my NEF. Will let you know...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Data 79 is not listed on Powder valley's web site .
They may have it ,but haven't listed it yeat
Data 73 is

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
OK, sure, because I know you are boycotting every company that restricts otherwise legal shipments to CA. and of course you are boycotting ALL gun manufacturers that are not submitting their guns and money to CA for testing and certification.

right? Wink

What companies?

Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the sportsmans guide

southernammo

are two that come to mind. won't ship to certain counties.

kel-tec will not submit its guns for testing, among others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnch:
Data 79 is not listed on Powder valley's web site .
They may have it ,but haven't listed it yeat
Data 73 is

Johnch

Has anyone seen any of Accurate's loading data for this Data 79 powder? I am hoping it might be slow burning enough to use in a .270WSM or a 6.5x55. Natchez has it for $69.95 for an eight pound keg, so the price is right, but if it is yet another .223 Rem powder, I have nothing to use it in.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got Accurate to send me some data. They don't have much, but said it behaves much the same as their 2700. Looks like it's slightly faster than 4350, but I couldn't get them to tell me anything about whether it needs a full case, how much pressure to work right, etc.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nobade:
I finally got Accurate to send me some data. They don't have much, but said it behaves much the same as their 2700. Looks like it's slightly faster than 4350, but I couldn't get them to tell me anything about whether it needs a full case, how much pressure to work right, etc.

Thanks for the update, curious to know what data they provided, so I just sent them an email. Based on your post, I wonder if the Data 79 powder might be close to Ramshot Big Game, since Ramshot lists Big Game right after Accurate 2700 on their burning rate chart, putting it faster than Winchester 760, but slower than the 4064 variants. Which means it might work in a 6.5x55, but probably not very well since it would not have very good loading density with the fairly large 6.5x55 case. If I am lucky it will be closer to Magpro and might be worth buying a keg or two to see....

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote