New
Find
Notify
Tools

crimping DG ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would appreciate some quick pertinent pointers.I never crimped in my life,didn't need to for bolt action rifle.Now I hear for .416 bolt action one should crimp if going for the real thing.Apparently recoil too much to keep bullets in place?
So question number 1: what is your experience with crimped / non crimped DG ammo

question2, using the Lee crimping die recommended most of the time,any rules/pointers to avoid trouble and get same crimp each time in proper amount?
thanks
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 I don't hunt dangerous game.

#2 Just follow the simple instructions with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Don't try to "out-think" them.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sheephunter : There is some information about crimping in this forum, but not necessarily in relation to your question.

Scroll down this page to "accuratereloading.com." The information will be there in one of the web pages.

Sometimes I crimp some of the ammo for my .338WM, such as the rounds with A-Frame bullets. These bullets have a deep cannelure, and I have noticed that one or two bullets of the rounds in the magazine move a little during the recoil. But in general the movement is not enough to prevent the rounds from chambering.

In your case (DG hunting), I would crimp all bullets that have cannelures.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote