New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for info on Lee powder dippers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone use these dippers? I'm trying to find out if their slide card lists a scoop that gives about 5-5.5 grains of Clays. I'm thinking about getting a set, but would like a bit more info on them before ordering a set. I've been to the website but they don't list the charges anywhere that I could find. Thanks for any help you can offer.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Lee dippers when I first started reloading, and still use them occasionally. They list the .70 dipper as 4.8 grains and the 1.00 dipper as 6.8 gr.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make dippers that hold any amount of powder by cutting say 30-06 cases off and weighing charges and filing to suit. They are very accurate with ball powders like Win 748 and 760. Use a piece of wire twisted into a handle around the case head in the groove.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
You can make dippers that hold any amount of powder by cutting say 30-06 cases off and weighing charges and filing to suit. They are very accurate with ball powders like Win 748 and 760. Use a piece of wire twisted into a handle around the case head in the groove.

Of course a full set of 15 Lee dippers with the slide rule chart are $9.99. I'm using them to preload the electronic powder dispenser... makes things MUCH faster

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thenks for the replies, guys. I'll look for a set next time I'm out. I may try the home-made trick for the heck of it as well.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick's suggestion is a good one and I've used it often myself. Medium size cases, such as 9mm, .38 spl. and others are good for mid range charges and even smaller cases such as .25 auto can be used for very light loads.
If you really want to get fancy, solder a short section of 1/4" copper tubing on the side of a case to make a nice handle. As rediculous as this may sound, BE SURE the case has a DISCHARGED primer in it.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.284Win., "Clays" may be too new to be listed in the "slide rule" chart. Besides, it comes in several varieties. However, Lee does list different powders by density or cc. If you know the density of Clays, for ex., have a few dippers (Lee's or homemade), a max. load and a scale, you can quickly establish a mean charge weight: You'll need to throw at least 40 charges into your scale pan and average the results to establish the weight/scoop. You then load at 10% - 15% less than that charge, chrono. your results and proceed from there. If you don't own a chrono., carefully scrutize case extraction and primer condition for pressure signs. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use them to load buffer in shotshells, and shot in turkey loads.... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a set but don't really find them accurate enough to use on their own. I tend to use them at the range to pre measure an approx charge onto my scale before topping it up to the correct weight.

For that I really them as it cuts down on the kit I have to carry...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI use the lee dippers to load an electronic scale close to wanted charge weight and then trickle in the last few grains. Using them by thenselves will not get an even load everytime. But they really help with the electronic scale.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actual planned use is for getting close to charge weight with Clays powder (flake powder) and then trickling in the last 1/2 grain or so. The flake powder doesn't run through my RCBS Uniflow very well. The homemade style with cartridge cases will work. I just need to get around to making a couple up. I'm loading 300 whisper type loads and measuring every charge. Just looking to save on the arm movements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them and find for the cheap price at some of the places like Cabelas etc, I can't understand why someone would take the time and energy to Make some dippers out of rifle cases, and then have to make a handle out of wire. Too much work when a set of the Lee Dippers is like $5.00 or less.

I use them for dipping powder and then use the beam scale to weigh the charge. I use the dippers as just an approximate, not the charge itself. I rely on the scale. I then use the trickler to bring the charge up to point I want the charge weight at.

For their price in ratio to what they do, I would not be without a set and a backup set.

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dippers can be pretty accurate but don't use Lee's method. I pour the dipper full, meaning heaped and carefully level the heap off with the straight edge of the spoon handle. You can get within a couple of tenths with a bit of practice using ball or short cut extruded powders. I make my own when LEE doesn't provide what I want and I have a collection of LEE dippers also. I always weigh when using powders like 4350, 4831 and 3031 or create a dipper that throws the minimum listed load and use something like 4895.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

Of course a full set of 15 Lee dippers with the slide rule chart are $9.99. I'm using them to preload the electronic powder dispenser... makes things MUCH faster

They're only $6 at Cabelas....along with all the other goodies I need!!

Lee Dipper set

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Take a look at www.boycottcabelas.com before you buy from them.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There may sure enough be something to that story. However, a man that makes a decision based on only one side of the story is not only biased, he's a fool.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
You calling me a fool?

Bob Shaffer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid it will take a lot more to convince me to not shop at Cabelas, I've been a happy customer of theirs for about 30yrs or so....

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it seems like the man was fired for silly reasons, for some reaon it seems like something is missing. I am in the military, and from time to time I am not allowed to say things or speak my mind. Even still, I would not get in trouble for talking about immigration laws when not in uniform. Maybe the truth of the whole thing is a little too crazy to believe right off of the bat. But yes, it could be true.

Besides, for most things Grafs has it, and the product and shipping is cheaper too.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would the guy make up such a story and go to all the trouble he has if it wasn't true?

Sounds typical of the s__t that goes on all the time anymore these pathetic days when you're politically INcorrect! Especially about the games the local cops played with him. Sure Cabelas has a lot of politicaL clout in the area.

Bob Shaffer