THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    New to reloading for handguns and have a question or two

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading for handguns and have a question or two
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shot my SIG Match Elite .45 ACP for the first time yesterday. The load is Hornady brass, Winchester primers, 5.5 grains of W231 and Nosler 230 grain bullets.

The gun performed flawlessly and I think it will become one of my favorites. However, every spent case was quite black and sooty, especially near the mouth. Is this normal? From what I've read, W231 is one of the top choices for the .45. Is this true?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In general, what that means is the powder charge is on the low side and is not making the case expand enough to help it seal against the gasses. Provided you are not at the max loading, if you up the charge that will go away, but other than having sooty brass (and also you will usually get more unburned powder residue in the barrel but it doesn't do any harm either) there is no drawback, especially if there is enough energy to work the action.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about tops for the 45ACP

I run AA5 in my ACP

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my Nosler manual, the maximum charge is 5.8 grains for W231. I can up the charge weight and see what happens.

Is AA5 a cleaner burning powder?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well damn, now I know why I couldn't get "Bobby B." for a screen name.

231 is some smokey azz schit.. I ran a gillion rounds with 148 wadcutters outta my wheel gun. Accurate load but gotta let the smoke clear to see whatcha hit.

Clays, WLP, and 230 FMJ is your huckleberry. If you're running IPSC or IDPA you'll swear you're cheatin. Supersoft load.....

I use it in my skeet loads too..win/win

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The 45acp is a very low pressure round, actually it has a lower SAAMI pressure then a 22LR, and everything is a little sooty. That along with the action starting to open while there is still some hot gas present often leaves some scorching and soot around the mouths.
I wouldn`t worry and if the load shoots well just accept the fact that you are going to tumble your brass when you get home.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, so there's nothing wrong with sooty cases. Good to know. Thanks, guys.

What about 700X? I've been told it would be a cleaner, better choice. Is this true?

Bobby B.