Find
Notify
Tools

3030 Ackely improved loading data?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
If you are familliar with this round and have good loading data .plese share your knowledge with me.
best regards& happy easter
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
At www.sixgunner.com Paco Kelly has written extensively about the 30-30AI and loading the standard 30-30 heavier than normal.
ZM

<Chainsaw>
posted
Danny, Here is the addy for the article that Zeke posted.
http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/3030again.htm

Zeke, It is a very good article.

I have a 30-30 standard load worked up with W748 and a 140 grain BarnesXBT, that is 3/4" and less that I chronographed at 2575. The Ackley should really make that load perk up.

------------------
The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Thank for the information. chainsaw did you never have problem with BX 140 gr at 3030 speed? Does the bullet preforms well on game and opens up at 2500fps? I want to use the gun for roedeer huntuing and as you know roe deer is a very small deer.
best regards
Danny

<Chainsaw>
posted
Danny, I load W748 (38 grains) with a CCI 250 Primer, a Winchester case, and the 140XBT from Barnes, seated .055 off the lands of the rifling. I have shot 13 whitetails with this load, and not a one ever got away wounded. This bullet always goes completely thru the animal, and I have not recovered a bullet.

Barnes Technicians told me this bullet will expand down to 1500 FPS.

The reason for the Magnum primer is that is what the load liked, and I hunt in weather that may get to -10 degrees F.

Chainsaw

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Chainsaw -
What rifle, barrel length, etc.. are you using with your 140XBT load?
Thanx,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
RWest, I shoot the load out of a NEF single shot with a 22" barrel. It has a VariX111 1.5-5x20mm scope.

I probably should have stated not to use this load in a lever action 30-30, as the safety factor with the tubular magazine would risk a detonation when using spitzer type bullets.

The case life with this load is usually 2-3 reloads as the case necks split easily with the thin 30-30 brass. The load uses WW Brass of current date manf.

With R-P brass I can load a bit heavier, but the accuracy is not good with R-P brass and is not good with the same 38 grain loading.---------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chainsaw
what is OAL of your rounds,because I own a 340 which has a max magazin length of 2.60 inches and all over this could not feed .I have a hornady handbook ,but all the spitzer 3030 loadings are exeeding 2,70 inches!
best regards
Danny

<Chainsaw>
posted
Danny, The OAL is 2.725. This single shot has a generous throat. What is the throat area of your Savage 340?

You may try loading one longer round in the chamber, marked with a colored marking pen, and then the others whatever length the magazine will allow, if that is possible.

I have a buddy with a Winchester Model 94 in 7-30 Waters, and that is what he does. He uses Spitzers bullets with one in the magazine, and one in the chamber. He seats these to coincide with the chamber length.-----Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
The major obstacle in my savage 340 bolt action is the magazin length which can not be loaded with rounds longer than 2,60 inchs oal from the magazin. it seems i have to keep the gun with original 3030 caliber.I haven't yet used pointed bullet in this gun. I am waiting to receive a party of Hornady 150 spbt, when i receive them ,I 'll tell you more about the loading.
danny