New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer ?? For Hornet Fans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Most manuals seem to lean toward Winchester brass and WSR primers. What works best for you all. Is there really a noticable difference between Remington 6 1/2, WSR and Small Pistol primers? Thanks for your input.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that small pistol primers worked best for me. I have been working with LIL Gun and h110 powders. dave

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always used the Remington 6-1/2, never had a reason to change.

I might consider it if using ball powder.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My gun shows a definate preference for CCI small pistol primers over the small rifle primers with my loads of H-110.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester cases, 12.5 to 13.2 grains of Lil'Gun, Federal #100 small pistol primers, and 40-grain Bergers or V-Maxes, seated about .020" off the rifling.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that with heavier loads of LilGun, I was seeing flattened primers when using small pistol(WW brand)... I switched to the Rem 6 1/2 and that helped quite a bit. I've recently started using CCI small rifle primers, and things seem to be working well...I think the cups on the pistol primers are just too soft for the higher intensity loads. I use them on my lighter loads, though.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To date, my best load uses WSP primers - but the rifle primers will also perform though. The jury is still ou for me, apparently they both work... I exclusively use VVN110 powder for the moment, and I have to say I most certainly have no reason to complain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Small pistol primers for my hornet also. I have not experienced any problems with them, but I have had improved accuracy. WW case, 13.0gr Lilgun, Win smp 45gr Sierra sftpt.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have great results with the rem 7 1/2 primer so that is what I have stuck with. It did not like win primers at all.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote