Notify
Tools

Getting Started With .375 Ruger
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted
Hi Guys,
I just bought a Ruger .375 Hawkeye and would like to "roll my own". The only reloading I've done to date is with a Lee loader in .44 mag. I don't anticipate needing to make a large number of rounds and don't have a lot of space to dedicate to it. I've seen compact reloading kits like the Lee Hand Press and wondered if that might be my best option. The idea of being able to keep all my supplies in a small box is very appealing.

I'd appreciate any insights you could give me.

Thanks!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The minimalist approach you are considering is a great way to learn handloading. From it you will develop your process based on the need to improve it. Of course, the basic kit will require a few accessories before you can use it. A set of dies is stating the obvious, but you will also need case prep tools for cleaning, chamfering, and trimming.

After your early experiments, a beam scale and powder trickler will find their way onto your wish list. They will furnish the ability to load consistent powder charges. The Lee dippers work well enough for low-volume loading that you won't want a powder measure. I can't say for certain, but you could find yourself considering a better way to size the brass, depending on your hand strength. Some people start out reloading with an O-press bolted to a 2x6 that is C-clamped to anything handy. You may eventually consider building a compact facility based on something like a Black&Decker WorkMate that can be stored away.

With a selection of powders and bullets, and some experimentation, you will have handloads as good as the factory stuff. You may still be using the Lee Hand Press for bullet seating, although a competition seating die may be necessary to produce straight ammunition with it. I will also mention that Lee, unlike most manufacturers, doesn't lubricate their equipment during production; it will work much better done so per the instructions.

By going the route you are anticipating, every additional piece that you buy will be to suit a purpose and will require a decision process prior to its acquisition that considers suitability, space requirement, and economy. You will be way ahead of the guy starting out who buys a fully progressive set-up with all of the toys. And in the end, you will still be using the dippers and funnel that come with the Lee kit.

BTW, what will you be hunting with a 375 in New England, or will it be reserved for Alaskan and African trips?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slug,

I'm Editing my response as I've just noticed Winchester 69's response while I was typing mine. I agree 100% conceptually with him although we differ in a coupla Widgets.

There's nothing wrong with going "Compact" and here in Europe (especially Holland & Demnmark) folks can learn alot about "Small". I've seen some pretty creative "Compact" reloading solutions here at Kitchen Counters and built into Nooks & Crannies.

Personally, a Lyman Acculine Press is about as small I'd want to go for Full-Length sizing .375 Ruger cases as the Lee Loader will only Neck-Size cases which I wouldn't recommend as a long-term reloading option for the .375 Ruger and for me the Hand-Held Presses are too much of an exercise in fumbling and effort required - just my $0.02 but remember; you're getting your money's worth from me. The Lyman is a small, inexpensive option at a very reasonable price from Mail-Order Discounters. A coupla small pieces of wood to prevent marring on a surface, two C-Clamps and you'll get reasonable purchase for solid mounting.

Net, with a Lyman Acculine Press, a set of .375 Ruger Full-Length Sizing Dies, a Digital Scale (again, for compactness & accurate weighing), a Lee hand-held .375 Ruger Case Case Trimmer, some Case Lube, the set of Lee Measuring Spoons for dribbling Powder, a Lee Factroy Crimp Die, can of Powder and a Box or two of good Bullets - You'll be Good-to-Go and while this combination won't fit in one Shoe Box, perhaps in a Bread Box. Certainly you probably won't be out more than a week's disposable income for this Set-up either. Aditionally, a Set-up this Compact and Detailed can be the basis for making some First-Class ammunition.

Have Fun and remember Reloading is an incurable affliction - I started out "Small" 40+ years ago and now have a dedicated Reloading Room with about every Widget every invented for this Hobby!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Have Fun and remember Reloading is an incurable affliction - ...

Oh so true words! About as incurable as hunting&fishing itself...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Another question:
Can you reccomend a powder that would work well for the .375 Ruger and also .308 Win and 7x57?

"BTW, what will you be hunting with a 375 in New England, or will it be reserved for Alaskan and African trips?"

If I like this rifle as much as I think I'm going to I'm going to make it my primary hunting gun. Yes, it's overkill for deer and black bear that I hunt here at home but I want to become very accustomed to it so that It will feel natural when I go to a planned Alaska trip. Hopefully I'll get picked in the NH, VT, or Maine moose lottery eventually and I'll get to use it for that too. I'll even use it for the occasional coyote or fisher. What do you think?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I hunted deer with my 375 H&H before I whent to Africa and found it worked just fine. I also used it for a couple hunting seasons because my nephew was using my 280. I think getting used to your rifle is a great idea.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slug,

I've killed plenty of Little, Small, Medium-sized and BIG Kritters with a .375H&H and don't feel ANY shame....

Squeezing the .308 Win, into the same powder can with the .375 & 7x57 maybe economizing a bit too much - certainly won't offer optimum performance for all three IMO.

My favorites for the .375H&H & 7x57R are VV N-560, VV N-160, H-4350 and IMR 4350. None the best bet for the .308 Win. which is better aligned with some of the Medium burners, IMR-4320, IMR-4064, IMR-4895 & VV N-140. BUT if you do some loading mannual research perhaps you may get a good compromize for all three with IMR 4064.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a hand press, the Huntington Compac works very well. I used one for a couple of years before I got a Forster co-ax and a portable bench (built from a Rockler router table kit).

If you can spare an 18 x 24 inch area of floor space for storage, my portable bench on locking casters (the kind that lock the swivel and the rolling) works really well, and with a supply of bullets, brass, powder, and tools on the lower shelves, it is very stable. I just roll it back out of the way in the utility room when I'm done. I think the heavy gauge steel frame kit was $90, and the caster set was $30. $15 in plywood and I had a portable bench.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
Thanks for the replies. Another question:
Can you reccomend a powder that would work well for the .375 Ruger and also .308 Win and 7x57?

I would try IMR4064. It is absolute magic in my 375 H&H and 308 Win and works well in my 243's. The only negative is that it is a long stick powder and doesn't flow well through a powder measure. I weigh all my loads using IMR4064.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Some great suggestions, Guys, thanks! I'm going to do some shopping this coming weekend. I'll let you know what I end up with.

-+-+-