Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer detonation?
 Login/Join

posted
would a round nose bullet detonate a primer in the magazine tube of a 32-20 rifle using light loads (1200fps or less). the recoil should be light and i would be using lead bullets (lee 100gr) anyone using these kind of bullets and having problems?

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a chance, however slight, that detonation could possibly occur due to using round nose bullets in a tube magazine. A little work with a file will easily convert your round nose bullets to flat nose.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smoke_eater:
would a round nose bullet detonate a primer in the magazine tube of a 32-20 rifle using light loads (1200fps or less). the recoil should be light and i would be using lead bullets (lee 100gr) anyone using these kind of bullets and having problems?

Use a primer with a harder cup. Most magnum primers has harder cups. Reduce your load when using magnum primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, they will not. By round nosed I'm assuming that you're talking about a bullet with a well rounded nose with a lot of exposed lead. Like the remingiton 30-30 cartridges.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smoke_eater:

Gee, I hope not! I've been shooting RN-HPs and just plain RNs, in addition to FPs, in 3 different Remington M25 .32-20s since 1966. So far, so good.

I cast my own bullets from both WWs and straight Lino. Neither has been any problem yet. I use W/W WSR primers most of the time, but sometimes use whatever SR primers I have handy including the thin-skinned Federal 205s. I DO NOT, however, use pistol primers in rifles.

IIRC, most .32-20 long guns were tube magazine rifles, whether Win '73 or '92. Marlin '94, or Rem M25... There were a few bolt actions like the Win 43 and Savage 23-C which did not have tubular mags, but I don't think nearly as many of them were made/sold. Lyman sold lots of different moulds for 32-20 bullets, including a few RN ones.

If a guy wanted the feeding advantages of RNs and the safety of flat points, he could look for (or have made) a Round-Nose Flat-Point mould...a RN bullet with a meplat of about .18" or more would be perfect. The RN would make feeding a pretty-much cinch, while the meplat would be bigger in diameter than the primer pocket of a .32-20. That way the bullet nose could not even touch a primer properly seated slightly below the head of the case.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are four different brand jacketed round nose bullets, Remington, Winchester, Sierra, and Speer. These are for the 30-30 which generates more recoil then the 32-20:

I don't believe your 32-20 round noses will your primers. Good a good practice to make sure you seat your primers correctly, that is slightly below flush.

posted Hide Post
actually those jacketed bullets make a point. the WW with 2% tin and a round shape shouldn't be a problem that i'm using

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote