Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading For An M14A2 - SAFE?
 Login/Join

posted
[Smile] I am new to reloading and am starting out reloading for my .22-250 bolt action. However, my plan is to eventually reload 7.62 for my M14A2.

If any of you have visited Fulton Armory’s FAQ section, it is very apparent that they do not condone reloading for military semi-autos. As a matter of fact, they say it is down right dangerous.

I have read their arguments and it seems to center around case resizing and length. I have also searched past discussions on reloading .308 for M1A and am of the opinion that as long as the brass is in good condition, full length resized and trimmed to proper length, reloading should be safe in an M14/M1A.

Can I hear your opinion on this topic and what steps I should take to ensure a save and accurate reload.

Thanks

Art

Posts: 26 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ArtD
Several hundred thousand rounds of reloads are fired by High Power Rifle Shooters every year.
I usually shot 39.5gr. of IMR 3031 with Sierra 168gr. Matchkings in my match M-14. This load shoots good in any 308.

If your filthy rich just buy Federal Match, and leave the brass on the ground for some other poor High-power shooter.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art, I've loaded many a round for the M14/M1A with 38.5-42.5 grains of IMR 4895 and 168's, and never had a problem. I have also found that those old service rifles were constructed of the best material and that specifications were strictly adhered to.

You have to wonder if Fulton's copy is true to the original.

[ 08-29-2003, 03:09: Message edited by: packrat ]

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Art:
As has already been stated, hundreds of competitive rifle shooters reload thousands of rounds yearly for the M14/M1A's without incident.

Careful sizing of cases,using a case (headspace)gauge, inspection for high primers and use of proper primers is recommended when loading for any "gas gun" such as the M14, M1 or AR15's, which all have floating firing pins that "peck" the primer when the bolt slams home. Anything that would cause a "high primer", such as a case not sufficiently sized to fit your chamber, a dirty chamber, primer not seated fully or a soft primer can contribute to a slam fire. Should this occur out of battery, can damage firearm or injure shooter.

This should not keep one from loading for these rifles, just something a prudent reloader/shooter should be aware of.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've loaded many tens of thousands of rounds for match M1A's over the last couple decades and even used to work at Fulton Armory. That idea that reloads are unsuitable for the M14 pattern rifle is blarney.

Clint includes that info for people new to the game who are likely also new to handloading. Match semi-autos are not the preferred testbeds for reloading newbies since there are many esoteric concerns when cooking up loads. Given the number of blown up or damaged rifles Fulton got in when I was there, it's clear that some people should stick to factory ammo.

That said, if you're careful you'll have no trouble turning out useful, accurate ammo for your M14. It's been done before, once or twice [Razz]

Cheers!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an EARLY Springfield M1A.

Have expended many, many rounds of reloaded ammo.

Have only had a head separation in one instance. Starting with LC68 brass fired presumably in an M60, shoot it once in the M1A, shoot it once in an M60 (for real), then feed the reloaded case back to the M1A.

Have made it a habit not to send any fired cases back to the M1A after they are fired in an M60 again, and I shoot them in the M60 just once more after I get them as once fired.

Other than that, the normal rules of reloading apply. check for incipient head separation on each firing and have fun.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. It confirms what I thought.

Regarding primers, I believe the military uses harder primers.

What is the commerial equivalent?

Art

Posts: 26 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
CCI #34 is specially made for gas guns, having a harder cup.

I have used Winchester LR and even Fed. 210M's (which supposedly have a rather soft cup) in both M1 and M1A's without any problems, but I will not load for a gas gun without a case gauge and at least spot check each lot of reloads for proper headspace and run a thumb over the primer as each round removed from the press.

If you set your dies on new or once fired brass for proper headspace in your rifle, be aware, that, as the brass work hardens from repeated reloading, they will "grow". That is to say, a case fired several times will give you less clearance than a new case, run through the same die.

Had a friend who wrecked a match grade 7.62 M1 due to the above. Slam fired, bent op-rod, blew extractor & ejector out of bolt, dinged receiver slightly showing that bolt lug was only 1/8" into battery in receiver. He took a small piece of schrapnel through the sweat band of his cap causing a small scalp wound. Rifle was repairable but he had to work on his trigger control for a while. [Frown] Checking remainder of his batch of ammo revealed insufficient headspace.

An aside on the "handloads void warranty" expressed by many manufacturers, was pleasantly surprised to find an envelope containing suggested loads and some tips as to brass to use in a new Bushmaster DCM rifle. [Smile]

Regards,
hm

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote