New
Find
Notify
Tools

.280 brass to 06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few weeks ago I bought A LOT of once fired Remington .280rem R-P bras thinking my next rifle would be a 280. Then I found a good deal on a 30-06 and bought it. So........ now I've got all this 280 brass and I'm thinking why can't I just run it through my RCBS fl 30-06 and push the shoulder back? I've tried it and I know I'll have to trim it some, but other than that is there any problems I should look for?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
A few weeks ago I bought A LOT of once fired Remington .280rem R-P bras thinking my next rifle would be a 280. Then I found a good deal on a 30-06 and bought it. So........ now I've got all this 280 brass and I'm thinking why can't I just run it through my RCBS fl 30-06 and push the shoulder back? I've tried it and I know I'll have to trim it some, but other than that is there any problems I should look for?

I remember seeing somewhere that the shoulder was the principal difference, so that 30-06 ammunition was not readily chambered in a .280 rifle.

Tom

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found several good looking pcs. of 280 and 270 brass at the range and stretched the neck out for my 30-06. You need good lube (Imperial) for the neck and have to trim back OAL but have not seen any problems so far. But I don't use these cases for my "trying new things" hunting loads, usually plinking loads with light or cast bullets. BM

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I prefer Winchester brass, and also wanted Nickel coated brass for my 338/06.

Winchester makes their 280 brass in Nickel only, and since I don't shoot a 280, when I look at the headstamp I know it is for the 338/06.

I neck it up to 30/06 when new and then neck it up again to 338/06. I have loaded some necked up 280 to 30/06 and have taken it to the range and it has worked just fine. No head space problems or stuck bolts. I did not even trim. It has been shot in a Winchester Model 70, and a 1917 Enfield also. Loaded it to regular specs or even a little stiffer.

So I have experienced no problems.

Good luck.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote