THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all MatchKings made to such high standard?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading "Ultimate Sniper" and the author, John Plaster, came across the topic of match/sniper ammunition. Here I quote him on the .308 168-grain MatchKing :

"I recently talked to Sierra ballistician David Brown concerning this phenomenal bullet's development and manufacture. Of course, tolerances are very close; in fact, an entire lot is rejected if a randomly selected sample will not attain a five-shot, 100-yard group no greater than 1/4 MOA using a machine rest. Each bullet's weight must be within 2/10ths of a grain, and jacket wall concentricity has a fine .0003 of an inch maximum tolerance."

As I haven't establish confidence in Sierra MK's(shot only 1 box of .264 139grn HPBT when testing handloads) does anyone know if this standard apply to other caliber/weight as well?

Thanks
Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
According to the introduction on the MK in the Sierra #5 all MatchKing bullets are held to the tolerances you described. I`ve used them in .224, 264, 284, and 308 cal and find they are always one of the top preformers. The Game Kings are built similarly, but not quite as close tolerance, and are also very accurate bullets.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b8s4lt%24gss%241%40grapevine.wam.umd.edu&output=gplain

I've seen the barrels clamped in blocks at Sierra's California plant
shoot 22 and 24 caliber match bullet into groups at 100 yards in the
1's and occasionally in the 0's and 2's. Same with 30 caliber match
bullets which shot in the 2's and 3's; the really good ones shot in
the 1's (or better) and those were set aside for sale to highpower
competitors, 1000 of those greasy unpolished ones per plain brown box.

[ 05-10-2003, 08:00: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in my opinion. I once hand a 168 Matchking go through the paper flat sideways. Haven't used them since and likely won't ever again. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also am a believer in Sierra Matchkings, use them in 6 or 7 different rifles. They are tops from the bench although I'm finding Nosler Bal. Tips a pretty close second. Most of the complaints I hear are from shooters who use the match bullets for game. That's not usually a wise procedure. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<vssf>
posted
Cal

Mentioning Sierra Matchkings and hunting in the same post on this board is not usually a wise procedure.

Regards

Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] @ vssf

A friend just ordered a bulk 500 pcs of 300 grain .338 MK:s for me. Only two boxes left at Midway. [Eek!]

Reports to come.At least in Sako factory over here they use MK:s as a certain kind of reference. Gives the best consistency,I do not know if they get a special lot or what but I doubt it. My three cents.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Sam>
posted
Yes, all MK lines are held to the same standard.

<Embalmer>
posted
in talking to both Robert and Paul at Sierra and my own measuring and testing I found out that the 175 mks are a little more uniform then the 168s. When measuring them both, the 175s seem a little more consistant and uniform in overall measurements hten the 168s. The measurement from tip to ogive and from ogive to OACL with a Sinclair comperator are more consitant then the 168s. As for weight, I have not weighed them both yet so I do not know. BUt for plain measurements the 175s seem a little better on average. Dont get mye wrong they both shoot like a house on fire but this is just what I have found out on my own in mucking around with em both.