New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x58R Brass
 Login/Join

<HK>
posted
Yesterday my sister (who is a hunter) called me and told me that she just bought a pre-WW2 hunting rifle, chambered for the 6.5x58R Sauer und Sohn cartridge. This kind of ammunition seems not to be produced since WW2. She wants to use the rifle for hunting (not for everyday�s use, but she doesn�t want to hide it at home) and because of this she will need some brass for reloading these cartridges.
Where can I get brass and dies for this oldfashioned cartridge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with the dies, but my books show it to be fairly easy to make the brass from 9.3x72R.
In a 6.5x58R die (with the expander removed), full length size the 9.3x72R brass. Trim to the proper length, and chamfer the case mouth. Finaly, full length size again (with the expander in the die).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once a popular cartridge. `The original bullets size was 6,64 mm, which means that you'll need .257" bullets, not .264". Reloading data are found in the two German handbooks (RUAG/RWS/DNAG and DEVA). Reforming the cases from 9,3x72 R is described as a major task.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<HK>
posted
@tailgunner&carcano91: thanks for the information. I own the book "Wiederladen" by Dynamit Nobel which tells me exactly, what you say.
Some years ago one could get dies from RCBS, but somebody told me that this caliber is no longer in production. Where else can I get dies in 6.5x58R?

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5x58R are always available as custom from RCBS , CH4 D can deliver real custom dies if you send a set a once fired cases

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote