New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other wildcats in .358" caliber???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone list some wildcats in .358 that perform around the 358 Norma Mag level, but not as fire-breathing as a 358 STW or 358 RUM?? A non-belted case is a plus.

I can hadle a 338 with 250 loaded pretty well, but I don't know if I need the headache from a 280 grainer at 3000 fps. The Remington Ultra to 358 and loaded down a hair may be the ticket, but I'm just toying with the idea. Already have a 350 Reminton that would probably get everything done, but who wouldn't need another gun??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, let's start at the low end, 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, 35 Brown-Whelen, 350 Fireplug, 35 A & E, then we get bigger, 35 Abe Express, 350 G & H, 35 Rock Express, 35/378 Weatherby. There's probably more, but these are the only ones i can remember offhand. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

Other the the original 35 whelen, the oldest 35 caliber wildcat I've ever heard of is the 350 Griffin & Howe (or 350 G&H) dating from the 1930's. It is simply the 375 H&H neckdown in one pass to 35 caliber. No fireforming, no triming. Necking down is always easier than necking up, and next to the 30-338, it is in all probability the simplest wildcat to form. Brass is cheap and plentifiul.

It only problem,and it is a small one, is that it requires a long (3.60" mag box length) magnum action, and if you want CRF (controlled round feed), it usually means canibilizing a 375 H&H or a 300 H&H length FN or Winny Model 70, which are usually pretty pricey in and of themselves. You could have a good smith lenghten a standard M-98, but that starts a price spirial that never ends, and good smiths that really know how to do it correctly are getting hard to find, and those that do it right are booked pretty full.

However, if CRF is not a requirement (your choice) than any long action Sako or Rem 700 Long action or Weatherby MK V can be had pretty cheap.

What you really have to decide is whether it is worth the effort. The tried and true 375 H&H will do anything that a 350 G&H will do (or a 350 RUM for that matter), and will do many things better.

However, when it comes to wildcats, rationally and practicality are not a factor, fun and originality are.

Good luck with your project,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about necking up the new 300 Winchester Short Mag to 35 Caliber to make the 35 WSM. It would be just about like the 350 Rem Mag, but fatter and it would not have a belt.

Posts: 52 | Location: Harlingen, Tx, USA | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale,

One of our Australian gun magazines is doing a custom rifle project in a calibre called the 35 Sambar. Sambar are large deer like Elk and found in very difficult country.

A 35 Sambar is the 300 WSM necked up to 35.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse, you should definitely take a look at the 35 Newton. This is a 8x68S necked up to cal. .35 with some sharpened shoulders. This one is as near you can come a beltless .358 NM

Pete

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
A friend of mine has made up something interesting for guns that need a rim ! It`s a 9,3x74R necked down to 35 and blown out to maximum volume , it is called the 359x74 Rhein .I do have a Bullberry barrel and have shot it on paper , but I don`t have any exterior ballistic data for it , except that recoil (with brake) in such a lightweight gun is STOUT , to say the least !

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not a wildcat, but considering what it takes to form brass, and the cost of factory brass/dies, you should look at the 350 Rigby. I am very, very happy with mine.

Imagine a de-belted 357 H&H, with a 45 deg shoulder and somewhat shortened 2.76" case length.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
.35 Ackley Magnum

.35 G&H Magnum

.35 Newton

.35 Remington

.35 Whelen

.35 Winchester

.35 Winchester SL

.35-30 Ackley

.35-284 Winchester

.35-444 Marlin

.350 Griffin & Howe

.350 Remington Magnum

.350 Smith

.351 Winchester SL

.356 Winchester

.358 JDJ

.358 Norma Magnum

.358 S.T. Alaskan

.358 U.M.T.

.358 Winchester

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the .358 Hawk . One of the best designed cases in .35 bore wildcats in my opinion , although it could be somewhat of a pain to form out of 06 brass...........

Mike , has your Aussie magazine done chrono work yet on the .35 Sambar ? Maybe you ought to post it if and when they do , could make interesting fodder on the medium bore board ........... [Smile]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mark s>
posted
Jesse,

sdgunslinger is correct. The .358 Hawk is a wonderful cartridge. Check out www.z-hat.com. All the ballistics for hawk cartridges are listed as well as how to form the cases out of 30-.06 brass.
Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a wildcat. But the 9.3 X 62 mm is not too shabby either.

[ 08-02-2002, 07:17: Message edited by: Phantom Duck ]

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote