Find
Notify
Tools

H4831sc vs H4831
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
What differences are you all that have switched to the short cut H4831 seeing as compared to the regular H4831?

Hogdon told me to start at the bottom & work up for loads in 30-06 AI

Nosler tells me to use the data as for H4831 for loads using the SC my 30-06 AI.

I've been using 62.0 gr of H4831 /165 gr Nosler BT in my 30-06 AI (Rem 760) for several years now with with great success. Just pondering wheather I could do a bit better.

Grass is always greener I guess.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My experence is they are the same. You should treat the H-4831-SC like a new lot of powder, hence droping back and working back up. I like the SC stuff it's a bit easier on the RCBS Uniflow Measurer.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think you will see any major improvement in ballistics, just more ease at the load bench.

Checking a trajectory chart, doesn't seem that another 100 fps will do much more than what your currently Ackley Load is doing.

That should be pretty good for a 760 Remington.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
No difference, other than the usual lot-to-lot variation.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a chronograph, but have not been able to detect any difference between the two from shooting them.

Posts: 14589 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

After considerable experimentation, the only difference I can see is that I can get just a tad bit more H4831SC in the case than you can the regular powder. This is especially true if you swirl the powder into the case via your funnel. I also have noticed better uniformity from the powder measure. Burning rates seem to be exactly the same. I've not seen as much difference between the two as from lot to lot differences in other brand powders.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote