Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted
I'm wondering where I can find bullet data for Remington bullets? I can find lots of data from Hornady and Speer and such in their reloading manuals.

What I'm specifically after is velocity data for Remington 45/70 Softpoints 405 grains. I have a chance to purchase a bunch of these at a good price but I can't find what velocities they are rated for.

Any suggestions?

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search the archives for the term <remington 405>. You'll be reading for weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Remingtons website and you'll find all the info you need.

Remington 45-70 ammo is loaded down to be safe in the old Springfield's and Trap Doors. my shoot software lists the 405 gr load at 1330fps

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I will check the forums, thanks for the tip.

I have been to Remington's website and they don't list a velocity range for their bullets as reloading components.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The RP 405gr will load very sim. to the Speer 400gr. The Lyman #49 may also have data you can use. When no specific data is found for your bullet, match to another bullet as closely as possible to another manuf. bullet & work up.
Not just Rem. but all factopry 45-70 is loaded down in deference to the older rifles out there.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thndrchiken:
Go to Remingtons website and you'll find all the info you need.

Got a specific link to Remingtons Load data?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
My only concern is that if I get to hot-rodding my 45/70 the bullets can get to 2k fps and I don't want anything flying apart.

I've used the Hornady bullets extensively and they perform well at the sedate velocities of Trap Door rated loads as well as full power modern loads in the Marlin rifles.

For the most part though I doubt I would go past factory loads with the close shots available here in Missouri.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rem 405 is said to be too soft for 2000 fps. the speer is not too much different.