THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    CHE. Does it really tell you anything important?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHE. Does it really tell you anything important?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
How can people be so opinionated about Che, and be so wrong?

Quite true. It also seems, contrary to this thread's title, "CHE Does it really tell you anything important?" that CHE doesn't work by itself. It always needs PRE. CHE and PRE, CHE and PRE, CHE and PRE! Nobody, including Ken Waters who stated 4 reasons why CHE is practically worthless alone, measures CHE and then done with it. Combine that with the metal fatigue of repeated firing and resizing of the brass case and you get even more worthless compounded errors.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2,
Why did you even bring up the experiment of CHE vs the M43 if you already had your mind made up?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
onefunzr2,
Why did you even bring up the experiment of CHE vs the M43 if you already had your mind made up?

Is that why you backed out of the test so quickly?

No, because my ineptness at measuring such tiny, tiny dimensions might be the exception rather than the rule. I wish to find out how many other AR members can routinely measure a brass case to a tolerance often quoted as 3 times smaller than the thickness of a human hair; give or take. And then correlate the results into, take your pick, psi or CUP. Those are the only two pressure measurement terms I find in any of my reloading manuals, except for Lead Units Of Pressure found long, long ago to reference the relatively low pressure of handgun ammo. I believe both CUP and LUP have been superceded by psi in the current reloading data.

So, to get back to the topic title. I've yet to see anyone post charts or graphs or 8x10 glossy pics of their recent use of CHE while working up a rifle reload. The key wording being RECENT. And the qualifier being CHE alone. The question doesn't ask about PRE, only CHE. Although, like Siamese twins, they seem to be inexorably joined. The former never stands the test on its own.

If you, SR4759, can cut & paste CHE data along side psi data, (other than M43 data) I'd love to see it. I mean, one outspoken member here has proclaimed CHE as the GOLD STANDARD in the application of rifle case pressure measurement for, what, 50 years? There's got to be some quantity surviving on the internet. Wouldn't you think?

Unless CHE, as a modern method of pressure quantification, is as bogus as a 3 dollar bill. And just as liable to get you in trouble.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have made an assumption that all brass yields at the same PSI. It is not reasonable to make that assumption.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
You have made an assumption that all brass yields at the same PSI. It is not reasonable to make that assumption.

If your statement were true, would it have any bearing on the device which was doing the measuring? Are you assuming that the M43 has an advantage??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTT