New
Find
Notify
Tools

a 375 H&H plinker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just had a chance this weekend to try out a cast load in my .375. 245 grain cast bullet with about 17 grains of Unique. What a blast! No recoil to speak of, not much noise, and a load which approximates a 44 magnum, or about 1500 fps with a 245 grain bullet. Cleaned up last night, and saw no leading. I can assemble these for about 10 cents per shell. It should make a fun load for close range hunting of our small local deer. My son had a chance to shoot the big boomer with no kick, but a big hole plowed through the 55 gal drum.

For other bargain shoppers out there, I found a deal on Hornday blems at Lock Stock and Barrel, 270 grain SP's at $12.00 per hundred. I figure I can load these for about 30 cents per round. I figure I can shoot these loads a bunch as I save up to hunt Africa in a few years.

Anybody else load cast bullets to hunt and practice with in the H&H?

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I mostly shoot cast in the 375. I have a nice 300gr. roundnose bore rider from NEI, over 12.0gr. Green Dot it will chew out a ragged hole at 100 yards. Over a case full of 5010 BMG it goes 2100 fps, nearly as accurate, and powerful for anything around here. Sort of like a real big 30-30!

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Thats similar to what I shoot in my 35 whelen, though I'm pushing 200's between 800 and 1700 fps.

Try backing off to 8-10 gr's, will get you subsonic, will be quieter then a 22rf, and truly recoil less!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I use 13.0 grains of Red Dot, a Magnum primer, and a 250gr cast bullet. Recoil is very light and the load is cheap to shoot!

I've chronographed this load, but can't find my notes right now.... :-(

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
There is always the warning of loading large cases with too small charges. This apparently does not apply to plinker loads with fast pistol powders. Though 10gr gives a fillrate of about 12% in the H&H case it is considered safe. No wads just empty space?

I have loaded my 458 with 313gr lead bullets to about 1500fps with N120 but I had to insert wads to get even velocities. Without wads the vel. spread was in the 100-200fps range. Any thoughts why Unique and Red Dot works fine without wads? Thanks! AKI

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi AKI

It is my understanding that Red Dot is extremely easy to ignite and is thus insensitive to its position in the case. Whatever the reason, I've had very good luck with Red Dot and a Magnum primer in cases from .222 Rem to .375 H&H.

I have tried fillers, but stopped because 1) they didn't seem to help, and 2) I've heard lots of warnings about ringing a chamber with filler loads.

For a reduced velocity load, I've also used a case full of H4831 or Norma MRP.... and I do mean caseful. You don't want to reduce loads with slow powders like this, and in fact I've had my best luck with moderately compressed loads.

Overall though, I've used more of the Red Dot loads because they are so cheap to shoot! (13 grs vs 80 grains of powder per shot!).

The disadvantage of the Red Dot loads is that you have to check, then check again: there is room for multiple(!) charges and you don't want that! Use 2 loading blocks (one on each side of the scale) to avoid double-charging, and pay attention (no visitors when making these loads!). As a final step, I use a small flashlight with lucite rod which makes it easy to inspect an entire loading block at once for powder levels.

If you are not a real careful type, stick with moderate or slow powders. On the slow-burning end, you cannot get enough H4831 in the case to get in any real trouble.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you fellers tried using the "Unique/Red Dot" reduced load with jacketed bullets?

Is it dangerous to try to convert these cast recipes over to a jacketed .375 200 gr. Hornady?

Thanks,
Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The caution I've heard with very low velocity jacketed bullets is that the jacket could stick in the bore while the lead core exits, causing a bore obstruction for the next shot. I use a Ruger #1 so as I'm getting used to these plinkers, I look down the bore to see its clear. So far, so good. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob.
I'm very interested in the "light load" for practice. I want followup rounds and magazine topping to be second nature.

Two more questions...

1. Where do you find load data like this (if there isn't any, how do you know what loads are safe)?

2. What is a good source for cast .375 bullets that won't lead up the barrel?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Many years ago I used the Red Dot type powders with 400 grain Speer bullets in the 460 Wby.

From memorary I used about 28 grains and velocities were around 1300 and very accurate.

You generally find with type of loads the groups come in nicely as the load is increased and the the groups start to open as you go past the point. Also peak accuracy occurs at very low pressure.

If I can find my old Lyman manual it had a lot of loads for shotgun powders.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The best resource for data on plinker loads is the Lymann cast bullet handbook.

As far as the plinker loads with jacketed, my concern is with the potential for sticking a bullet, and the bear of a time one has removing a stuck jacketed bullet.

I've found with cast you have to really go down low before the bullet doesn't exit, ie less then 1 gr of red dot w/ a dab of filler. I don't know what the lower limit is for a jacketed bullet, as I've had no desire to get anwhere close to sticking one. Me thinks if you keep to 800 fps and higher you'll be ok.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I have cast bullet loads for both the .375 H&H and the .375 AI. I have many .375 molds however I favor a 250 gr Lyman GC with a hollow pt. I use about 45 gr of imr 3031 and a 0.6 gr tuft of kapox. The velocity is 2000 fps. I have shot this load for years. I bagged on deer with it. The rib shot resulted in the deer just falling over in it's tracks at 100 yards.

It's very accurate and there is no leading with linotype.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Think the guys at shooterstalk.com might steer you in the right direction for cast bullet loads and are very friendly.
Hit on the cast bullet forum.