New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Dakota Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To anyone shooting a 7mm Dakota: What dies are you using? How do you like them? Am cosidering building a Dakota 7 and the only companies I see making dies for it are RCBS and Redding. Has anybody ever made a 7mm Dakota with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder? I think Pacific Tool would make the reamer but don't know where I could get the custom die. Any thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine why you'd want to put a 40 deg Ackley shoulder on the 7 Dakota. I works quite well just like it is.
My dies are RCBS and they work just fine. I imagine the Reddings would be about the same if maybe nicer finished and more expensive.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not Ackley? I'm sure that there are plenty who would make same the argument for the 25-06 and 280 working "quite well" the way they were originally designed. Its just a thought. I agree that it is impractical but then again, is anything practical ever really fun?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the 7 Dakota as a very sweet balanced round that works extremely well. I think if it hadn't been made by a small proprietary manufacturer I think it would be extremely popular.

I just don't see a 40deg shoulder as an improvement. And an expensive non-improvement at that. Fireforming $2 each cases is a little different than .25cent ones.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with DJ on the AI version vs as is.

I also use RCBS and they work fine, I am only loading for one rifle in that caliber, so I've tweaked the die set to be just like I want, and I get really consistent ammo with them.

If doing it again, I might wait and send in a couple fired cases to Hornady and have a set of custom dies done by them.

My 7 Dakota is really consistent with a wide range of loads, I like it a lot.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. You already ahve a case with 89grs of capacity and minimun taper and 30deg shoulder. A 40 won't give you much if anything. Except higher cost for dies, reamer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm Dakota on a Ruger #1. I use std. Redding dies. It does anything I can ask of the round from close to far w/ 160gr-175gr bullets.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote