New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would it be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What does the reloading world call 6mm bullet necked into a .308 Winchester case? I am thinking this will be my next target and varmint gun. Thanks.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
243 Winchester

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! No need to lay out huge sums of money for reamers and such. I never knew it could be so easy. Makes me want to neck the bullet into a 7mm WSM case now...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer -
As STINGER correctly stated, it's called the .243 Winchester. There are other cartridges based on necking down the .308 Win. case, including the .22 Cheetah, 7mm-08, and (my personal favorite) the .260 Remington (6.5mm bullet). There was also a .270 version that never really caught on, I can't remember the name right now. All of the .308 Win. based cartridges seem to have a reputation for accuracy...
If you do end up with a .243 Win. rifle, I'm sure you'll like it - I've been really pleased with the accuracy and long-range capability of mine! Check out the .260 Rem. while you're at it... it also has a LOT going for it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the plan: Lawton 7500 Stainless Competition action (a steal at about 800 bucks), longish Krieger barrel with long breech diameter (allows multiple rechamberings), MacMillan A4 or A5 stock with barrel channel same as breech diameter all the way to forward end. Comments?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered twist rate? You'll want to consider a 1:8" twist. Anything slower and you can't use the 105+ grain target bullets.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
never been a huge fan of the .243 Win. as i have a 6mm Rem., but saw a 60's Sako Forester in 243 the other day, my was it fine. with good bullets and shot placement, they are down right deadly on deer with 100s and with the wide range of bullets, anything is possible.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a target shooter. I think hunting is just fine; we have to control the animal population. They can't do it themselves. Plus, the end result tastes good...

I plan on shooting the 107-grain Sierra MatchKing exclusively. Has a .527 BC above 2700 fps-- that's way up there! LWD likes the 1:8 twist. I shall consult the barrelmaker, the actionmaker and my own misguided intelligence before we cut any steel. Thanks, LWD.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Excellent! No need to lay out huge sums of money for reamers and such. I never knew it could be so easy. Makes me want to neck the bullet into a 7mm WSM case now...

Being a martian, I understand how you weren't aware of the origin of the .243 WIN. round! That probably happened before you arrived.

IF you want a real performer, neck the .257 Roberts down to 6mm. Then call it the 6X57mm Mauser (or the 6mm Remington......) Even better would be to neck the .284 Win. down to 6mm.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
What does the reloading world call 6mm bullet necked into a .308 Winchester case? I am thinking this will be my next target and varmint gun. Thanks.

OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
sounds interesting.
lets do 7mm after than.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gaillo:
homebrewer -
As STINGER correctly stated, it's called the .243 Winchester. There are other cartridges based on necking down the .308 Win. case, including the .22 Cheetah, 7mm-08, and (my personal favorite) the .260 Remington (6.5mm bullet). There was also a .270 version that never really caught on, I can't remember the name right now. All of the .308 Win. based cartridges seem to have a reputation for accuracy...

The 25 caliber is called the 25 Souper (not Super)
The 338 caliber is called the 338 Federal
The 35 caliber is called the 358 Winchester.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote