New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range report RE17..30-06..it works.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got to the range today with some 150 tsx's loaded over 60 grains re17 in my 22.5" Tikka. I used fed virgin brass as a thermometer as this batch seems to stretch primer pockets fairly easy if hot. They clocked right at 3100 fps.
This may sound like a hot load but I have been using QL and other loader reports to "guess" my speed. My prediction was 3114 fps so I was pretty much on the nuts. I had loaded one at 58.8 and it clocked where I thought so I went with the rest loaded at 60. Everything about the brass looked good with no bolt lift, or extractor print whatsoever. I reseated some primers when I got home and they seated with no apparent stretching. I collet neck sized that same brass and it chambers like butter with no effort to close the bolt. ALSO happy to report that this brass was really clean.....the cleanest looking of any of the loads shot today...I think this stuff is a-ok.
No one knows for sure what this powder is doing for pressure but my "worst case" forecast was about 67k.....I don't think it is operating near that from looking at indicators from today....but will continue to watch as I work with other bullets.
IF...I can find an accurate load with the 150 e tip at around 3000 fps I think I will call it quits.
I keep watching for other peoples results and cross referencing with Quick load. I'm also anxious to see someone hook up some pressure testing equip to a 30 cal and see if there is some "magic" going on like what they did at 6mmbr.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, good post, thanks for the intel. You are of course right, speed alone is a pressure indicator, but from all I can run on Quickload you are well within pressure limits for a good ,modern action, 30-06.

Good shooting, keep us posted, i bet the e-tip runs at LOWER pressure, just based on my experience.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky
are you going to put some R 17 behind some 180 noslers in the 06...i will put that powder through the pressure gun when it gets here

Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yup--am planning some 180 acubonds at about 56.5 which should clear 2800 in my 22.5" barrel if my predictions are right. I will use the brass I used above to keep watching for prime pocket expansion.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
kraky
are you going to put some R 17 behind some 180 noslers in the 06...i will put that powder through the pressure gun when it gets here

Daniel

Daniel, I'll be looking forward to your results...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BRAD
will let you know what the data shows
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I would be very curious as to the results with the 180's especially any predictions for the '06 Ackley...

Thank you

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote