New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Ammo Boxes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
which ammo boxes will help preserve concentricity of my meticulously hand crafted hunting ammo?

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find some to drop you ammo into base first and make sure you do not turn them over.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Find some to drop you ammo into base first and make sure you do not turn them over.

I agree about the "base down" position of the case in the box.

Regarding ammo movement when turning over the box, I have come to rely on some form of liner (foam, bubble-wrap etc) inserted into the lid of the box, which will keep the ammo positioned even when turned over. E.g. something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Foam...o-Dark/dp/B001OPLJSC

You'll have to experiment a bit with regards to how much liner is needed to hold the ammo steady without running the risk of upsetting your seated bullets.

When they are available, I mostly rely on the plastic MTM boxes - or equivalent products. Sinclair used to sell some pretty upmarket ammo boxes - although primarily directed at target shooters. A few years ago, a member here offered some spiffy custom ammo boxes for sale. Maybe he still manufactures and sells those??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So, reloaded hunting ammo can move out of spec with routine handling? I mean, sure it can, but is that the kind of loading you want to do for ammo you carry in the field?

Posts: 9 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Mackenzie:
So, reloaded hunting ammo can move out of spec with routine handling? I mean, sure it can, but is that the kind of loading you want to do for ammo you carry in the field?

Like so many other things, it partly depends on what you use it for.

For some folks, hunting means shooting P-dogs from a portable bench set up on the edge of a big P-dog town. For that, I personally prefer something like an MTM 50-round plastic box, with a piece of thick foam on top of the rounds set in the box base down. And, yes, I load that ammo just like my best match quality ammo for the cartridge being used.

For moose hunting, I use something entirely different by way of loads. I generally use "prepped" GI .30-06 brass with NOS Nosler 200 grain RN Partition bullets with factory machined cannelures. I carry it to camp in MTM 50-round boxes just like I would P-dog ammo, but IN camp, I transfer it into special 10-round folding leather belt packs which I used to have manufactured especially for a gun shop in Edmonton back in the early 1970s. They sold out of 100 of them every hunting season, so apparently others liked them as well.

I use the same type of belt packs made by me, for me, from tanned moose hide (hair off) for carrying 7x65R factory ammo elk hunting in the field here in the states. They go to elk camp in their factory RWS boxes.

To each a time and place....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use two types of box's....both from MidWay

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Will those Midway white boxes hold 375 H&H ammo? or will it split the styrofoam?

Thanks, BAxter

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure....I dont use them on my .270 WSM because of that reason but I don't have a .375 I did have a 7 RM and it didn't split the foam

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
hmmm...thanks for the info. I bet the H&H would be OK in them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Ted,

Will those Midway white boxes hold 375 H&H ammo? or will it split the styrofoam?

Thanks, BAxter

They come in several sizes.

posted Hide Post
MTM has some newer ones out now with a live hinge..allowing the top half to lay flat....the regular hinge type are a PIA to keep open...
Plano also offers the same type...
Graf's or Midsouth Shooters are a good source...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote